New 09 Yz450 owner

Hello, this is my first post and have a question about the airbox on my new Yz 450. This is the first bike I was ever able to purchase in the crate and looked forward to setting it up myself. Upon tearing the bike down to grease everything I soon found out the subframe airbox was going to be a pain. Removing it was not so bad but I could see putting it back together was going to be a chore. After alot of cussing ended up having to remove the top shock bolt and drop the shock down to get the airbox reattached to the carb. Please tell me there is a better easier way to do this.

not that I know of. I have heard that its a pain, most people just say screw it and remove it with subframe and reinstall as one piece. The shock does have to unbolt though. Maybe someone will have a different approach.

Remove the air box from the sub frame (two bolt on top, two under the rear fender). You should be able to slip it onto the carb and clamp it in place without moving the shock. Then slip the sub frame on over the air box. This is by far the easiest method I've tried to make this reassembly.

Thanks for the tip grayracer, never thought of doing it that way.

on mine (08 yz 450) i just removed the subframe completely with airbox still bolted to subframe. No need to remove airbox from subframe. No need to remove shock. It is a tight fit, however.

Remove the air box from the sub frame (two bolt on top, two under the rear fender). You should be able to slip it onto the carb and clamp it in place without moving the shock. Then slip the sub frame on over the air box. This is by far the easiest method I've tried to make this reassembly.

Definately the easiest way grayracer, if I am just pulling the shock sometimes I do not even loosen the air boot clamp and leave the air box on the bike.

i have also found that loosening the carb boot holding the carb to the motor has also helped with aligning the airbox and the carb. grayracer's way also sounds very good.

Definately the easiest way grayracer, if I am just pulling the shock sometimes I do not even loosen the air boot clamp and leave the air box on the bike.
Quite right. The air boot need not be removed to pull the shock if you do it this way.