Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boricua

Forks & Shock Swap

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone knows if I can use my old YZ450F '07 suspensions on a new 09 bike? I just send the new ones to be revalve and I have a race this weekend.

The forks should work fine, but you will have to use your 07 front brakes. I'm not sure on the shock, as the linkage changed, but I think the shock itself remained fairly unchanged.

The linkage changed in '08, meaning in part that the later bikes need heavier springs. A shock from an '07 will not work well at all.

At the front, the entire front braking system will need to be moved over along with the fork, like KJ said. Also, the axle is different, and the axle offset was changed.

So, no, it's not really that simple.

The linkage changed in '08, meaning in part that the later bikes need heavier springs. A shock from an '07 will not work well at all.

At the front, the entire front braking system will need to be moved over along with the fork, like KJ said. Also, the axle is different, and the axle offset was changed.

So, no, it's not really that simple.

The axle will work as long as he uses the 09 wheel spacers. The front hub hasn't changed since 01, and the overall axle length and diameter is the same from 06-09, just the length of the larger diameter part of the axle changed, which is accounted for with the shorter wheel spacer on that side.

Good call on the shock linkage change, I forgot about that.

I believe your axle info is incorrect, but i don't know that for certain. The bearing diameter is the same, but it seems to me that the diameter of the "big end" is smaller beginning with the '08. The '06-7 and '08 are distinctly different part numbers.

I believe your axle info is incorrect, but i don't know that for certain. The bearing diameter is the same, but it seems to me that the diameter of the "big end" is smaller beginning with the '08. The '06-7 and '08 are distinctly different part numbers.

The YZ250F got the new front axle in 07, and I have swapped axles (with the respective wheel spacers) between an 07 YZ250F and an 06 YZ450F. The only difference is the length of the larger diameter. This makes mounting the front tire much easier since the right wheel spacer is really short.

The YZ250F got the new front axle in 07, and I have swapped axles (with the respective wheel spacers) between an 07 YZ250F and an 06 YZ450F. The only difference is the length of the larger diameter. This makes mounting the front tire much easier since the right wheel spacer is really short.
Good to know. It was always a PITA that both ends of the axle started into the jugs at the same time.

Sorry to hijack the thread but would forks off of an 06 work on an 05?

From what I've heard the forks on the 06 are night and day better than the 05's

Thanks

The 05 yz fork is the same type (closed cartrige) as the 06 I would say that the 05 is pretty good, you would need to go to 2008 to get the most improvements in the fork. The 06 shock would provide a bigger bang for the buck!

The 06 fork went to "speed sensitive" damping rather than "position sensitive" as on the 05. The consensus is is that the 06 fork was much better than the 05. I don't think the diameter of the outer tubes changed (Greyracer would know for sure) so an 06 fork should fit the 05 triple clamps.

The '05 fork is fundamentally the same fork as the '06 and later. With a bit of rework, they can be every bit as good.

I'd recommend contacting Dave Johnson at Smart Peformance, Inc. . You'd spend less with him that you would on used '06 forks, and end up with better results.

The 05 yz fork is the same type (closed cartrige) as the 06 I would say that the 05 is pretty good, you would need to go to 2008 to get the most improvements in the fork. The 06 shock would provide a bigger bang for the buck!

Would the 06 shock fit? I only remember hearing about the forks being a lot better. Was the 06 shock that much better than the 05?

I'm looking at getting my suspension revalved, would I gain much performance if I bought used 06 equipment and had them revalved instead of my 05?