Big tank for 08 450

I haven't raced my 08 yet (so. cal. desert), but after talking to guys on the same bike at the H&H national yesterday it's obvious the stock tank aint gonna get it. My son has a Clark 2.6 on is 08 YZ that is very slim. IMS 3.1 is wider thru the knee area. Both would require YZ shrouds. I need a solid 50 mi. range to cover our race lengths and have some left just in case. What range are you guys getting on the stock tank, and any using the Clark tank, what range are you getting out of that? Thanks for any info.

Theres several threads on this if you do a search. I just put a Clarke 3.4 on mine, haven't been able to go for a long ride yet, I imagnine this would be a 100 mile or better tank, so that may be to big for you. Seems like most are getting anywhere from 35 to 60 miles out of a stock tank depending on how hard you ride. The clarke I put on uses stock shrouds, and it does feel a bit wider. I was kind of disappointed in the construction of the Clarke, the seams are rough and have pourous spots. I've never had an IMS so I don't know if they are any better or what, but if I do it again, I might seriously look at IMS.

CLARKE is the only one making a tank specifically for the WR allowing you to use your stock shrouds.

While wider, I would think that the IMS carries the fuel and subsequent weight, lower.

I am happy with my IMS after two seasons of racing:thumbsup:

In the Desert with the stock tank I was hitting reserve at 35 miles... I have a heavy throttle hand (does not mean that I am fast though:busted:)

Good luck, either way you go is better than stock... I would never thing of racing the desert with the stock tank.. I could not even race GP's with out being worried that I might have to pit twice :banana:

I'm quite happy with the Clarke I bought for my '08. SJMC_Don's remark is correct in that the tank is taller than the IMS, but that is also partially a function of the extra volume. The Clarke is 0.3 gals larger, IIRC. That doesn't account for all of it but a good portion. The other thing that sold me on the Clarke was the fact that I could use my stock rad shrouds. I couldn't see going out and paying more money for shrouds too.

trailhead

With the IMS you will need to get a petcock from a steel frame model. If not, you will either have the fuel line pointing to the front and need a longer line that wraps back around or the shut off valve will be on the inside towards the head. I opted to get the new petcock.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Acerbis tank. The gas tank is also part of the shrouds. I like it as it doesn't surround the head of the engine . I was riding last w/e in the desert , on my YZ450f with the Clarke tank and the gas was actually boiling from the heat from the engine!

I know it nice to have the weight lower, but I'm not excited to see the gas boiling!

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_70_182&products_id=347

I know you guys are talking about the 450's but FYI on my WR 426 I can get 100 miles (safely) of desert riding out of my Clarke 3.3 tank. I would imagine the 450's would do almost as well. I just looked at Clarke's website and their 07'-09' 3.6 gal tank for the WR's looks like the answer for those with the newer bikes.

• 4 months later...
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Acerbis tank. The gas tank is also part of the shrouds. I like it as it doesn't surround the head of the engine . I was riding last w/e in the desert , on my YZ450f with the Clarke tank and the gas was actually boiling from the heat from the engine!

I know it nice to have the weight lower, but I'm not excited to see the gas boiling!

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_70_182&products_id=347

I was wondering the same thing..anyone have this tank?

Go with the Clarke tank Dave. I have one on my '08 and I think it's perfect. KingJewels was right about the shrouds and stuff. I kept the stock petcock and turned it around so the handle is inside. I did that because I was a little worried about busting the petcock off if turned around. It's a little bit of a PITA to reach but I usually only shut it off when transporting.

BTW, I did some very fast fireroading this last weekend and got 180 miles on one tank and didn't even hit reserve yet. My guess was that there was another 1/2 gallon in the tank so I probably could have gone over 200 miles with one tank. Also, three of the four guys I was riding with had Clarkes

(3.1G I think) on their KTMs and they all ran out of gas.

trailhead

I used to race all the District 37 races and for the H and H's espcecially you will need a the bigger tank. I have pitted with your club a few times and ride frequently with a couple of your members, Gary Lacharite & JJ Johson. I currently have and 08' w/the IMS tank, it is a little wider than stock but nothing to obtrusive and as far as the petcock goes just run it backwards. It's not brain surgery to figure out which way is on and off and you won't waste the money on a new one.

Just my .02

I also got a new PC and it was almost the best mod i did :worthy:

here is what it looks like:

PB090032.jpg

123BigcoopDawg576,

Is that an IMS tank with YZ shrouds on your bike? I'm still torn between the Clarke and IMS for my 08 WR450F. It sounds like the IMS is finished better and is also a bit slimmer.

If I understand correctly, the Clarke uses the WR shrouds and only has one PC on the left side (like stock). The IMS requires YZ shrouds, a different PC if you want it to be right side out, and also has a second fuel line that runs from the bottom right side of the tank that tees in to the PC on the left.

Am I correct? Last tank went to reserve at 40 miles...on fumes when I got back to the truck. A bigger tank is not an option...it is a necessity!

123BigcoopDawg576,

If I understand correctly, the Clarke uses the WR shrouds and only has one PC on the left side (like stock). The IMS requires YZ shrouds, a different PC if you want it to be right side out, and also has a second fuel line that runs from the bottom right side of the tank that tees in to the PC on the left.

IMS only has one PC... 06 or older WR PC is the trick, it will face right side out and give you a reserve:thumbsup:

The IMS looks a little weird where it mates to the seat up front... the tank is definitely wider than the seat.