HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gerald28

SideWinder Titanium Sprockets and Chain

3 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

Last week I broke down, got a loan, and ordered the SideWinder Titanium Ti-Moly 2 sprockets (both) and their SmartRing chain for my 06 YZ450F.

I open the box and the first thing I noticed is "holy cr@p, they are heavy".

So my question is, are they much heavier than anything else...or is it just me?

I am running a stock chain and cheap alluminum sprockets (tag, renthal , etc).

I ride moto (30+ C) and woods (WORCS style, 30+ C). I do not like the idea of adding so much unsprung weight. I plan to take the sprocket and chain to my office and use the scale in the mail room to see the difference.

Am I making too much a deal of the weight issue? Do they weight the same as IronMan or other longer lasting sprockets?

What about the chain, it sure seam big. I am going to put a micrometer on it to check the width.

Any suggestions or opions would be great. I want to decide soon, so I can send it back if need be.

Regards,

Gerald

Make sure that chain will not rub the engine cases at the front sprocket. I know it is tight up there.

As for weight, I know the standard Renthal aluminum rear sprocket weighs around 10oz. on my KX450 in the 51 tooth size. I don't have a problem with it lasting as long as there is a good quality chain on there. As in, NOT the stock stretch-o-matic chain.