YZ450 Woods Gearing?

What have you guys found to be the best tight woods gearing? It needs to be geared down to lower first but before I start with musical sprockets I thought Id ask. Ill just go back to stock for track riding when needed. Someone told me its not a good idea to put put a smaller front on (easier and cheaper and quicker) because it wears hard on the swingarm. I was just thinking I could drop one tooth on the front then maybe add more on the rear if needed. Any thoughts? First ride out today on it and I love it! :banana:

I've read the same about dropping to a 12 counter and ended up putting a cheap steel 51 on my 08 recently. I think the rear is easier to change anyway. After two 40mile rides I honestly didnt notice the difference from the stock 49. Still required clutch work on slow technical uphills, had a flame out or two, still gobs of top end speed. If you're in really tight stuff I'd start with a 52 and go from there.

What have you guys found to be the best tight woods gearing? It needs to be geared down to lower first but before I start with musical sprockets I thought Id ask. Ill just go back to stock for track riding when needed. Someone told me its not a good idea to put put a smaller front on (easier and cheaper and quicker) because it wears hard on the swingarm. I was just thinking I could drop one tooth on the front then maybe add more on the rear if needed. Any thoughts? First ride out today on it and I love it! :banana:

Dont gear it down!! Just go faster!! You wont have any problems with more speed!! Now that ive ridden it. I dont think you need more bottom end Just more Balls LOL? Next time out better not be below Zero.? Maybe a new muffler though! And a second guy to help you start it when its cold:smirk:

im rockin 13/53 on my 426 which is down 1 on front and up 4 in rear, and wow. crazy bottom, but it tops out at 45-50 tops. Verry nice in slow stuff and on hills though.I think pretty soon I will go back to 14/53 and throw on a fww.

• 2 weeks later...
I run 13 51 on my 400. still needs clutching in the tight rocky stuff...if i had my choice id go to a 52 rear...im on a 400 though?

I just sold my '98 yz400f and got an almost new '07 yz450f and I'm tempted to say my old 400 had a little more torque. I am still dialing in the carb on this 450 though. I'm thinking about getting a 52 for the rear since it stalls real easy in first gear but I'm not going to change anything until I get to take it on a long ride. What will a 52 rear sprocket do to the top end speed? The bike has a little more top end than I need for the woods but it won't be fun on the track.

I just sold my '98 yz400f and got an almost new '07 yz450f and I'm tempted to say my old 400 had a little more torque. I am still dialing in the carb on this 450 though. I'm thinking about getting a 52 for the rear since it stalls real easy in first gear but I'm not going to change anything until I get to take it on a long ride. What will a 52 rear sprocket do to the top end speed? The bike has a little more top end than I need for the woods but it won't be fun on the track.

I agree about the 400 having more torque, I bought the 07 450 about a year ago and was constantly stalling in the tight tree riding, compared to my old 400. I went with a 52 rear sprocket and it has helped alot, but it really slowed the top end.

Yeah, the new '07 is probably just as fast but the old 400 certainly felt more powerful. It really does have "enough" power and probably more than I can use to it's potential but I feel it needs more bottom. If I change gearing I'll lose top end and I don't want that. Maybe a high compression piston, and a flywheel weight to help with the stalling?

Higher compression will actually make matters worse because the impact of running up against compression at low speeds is part of what stalls the engine.

The 400 has about 6 less real horsepower than the '07 does. It just has power in a different place, making it feel more powerful. This kind of thing is what leads people to think the '03 and '04 were monster, killer muscle bikes, and way more powerful than the '06, '07 or '08. When you run them head to head, a different story surfaces, however. The newer bikes are definitely stronger, on paper and on the ground, but the muscle is at the high end, and the power down low is moderated for better control of the bike.

Okay, ruled out the H-C piston. My new bike is so much smoother than my old 400, I bet that is a lot of what makes it seem like its not as powerful. It seems real easy to put the power to the ground, the 400 was a wheelie monster. I wont be changing anything for a while, I spent enough. A flywheel weight might solve the stalling issues and I can take that off if I'm going to track the bike.