Trying to make a descision on bikes...

'09 YZ450F vs. '08/'09 YZ250

I'm bikeless right now and I'm looking to buy in the spring. I was and still am looking at the '09 YZ450F for trails and hare scrambles. I was going to slightly mod it with a 12oz FWW and some minor trail worthy goodies. I like that its a mellowed down 450 rather than a full on screamer. Plus, its apparently quieter which I like.

I'm coming off a 250F and I'm only 175lbs nekked. The terrain here is mostly fast and wide open single track, but tight stuff is always there.

I just got the upcoming HS series schedule and there's 6 races within spitting distance from my house. I'm worried about buying a 450 then trying out a race and getting worn out from the power and the weight. Even on my 250F it was tiring.....

I had my heart set on that 450 for some time, but now that I see that race schedule I'm considering a smoker again, with a 3gal tank, 12oz FWW, maybe a Rekluse, lower gearing, etc etc.... I know 2 stroke resale values are horrid right now, but I want a very good race bike regardless of what I can sell it off for in the future.

Just thinking out loud. Good gas given for good advice.

(I'll post this in the smoker forum as well)

Have you seen the resale value of 4 strokes?!?

Consider that a totaly changed 2010 model that will reduce the vaue of your 09 even more. Then you have to consider upkeep... 6 Grand Prix's is going to chew up some spendy parts. Not so much with a smoker, along with minimal changes, fewer built and lower sticker $'s make the smoker the value.

If your area is tight, you'll definately use less energy on the YZ. The big F is a hand full in the tight stuff.

• Like 1

it pains me to say this,especially because i love my big yzf,but at your weight i'd go with the smoker for sure.i just sold my yz,and for HS they are still great bikes...nimble,light,easy to kick,and CHEAPER.don't get me wrong i love the 450 for all out trail riding,hillclimbing, whatever else you can throw at it,but at race pace it'll wear ya out after a couple of hrs,atleast back here on the east coast tight,tech riding.did i mention the yz is nimble,light, easy to kick,and cheaper:lol:

I ride an 06 yz450f and an 05 yz250 2T. For my humble skill level the 250 is hands down the better bike for off road use. For me it's more nimble, and handles better in the tight stuff. Also it's much less maintainance intensive and will take a lot of abuse. On the other hand the 450 is a way better "track" bike. It just hooks up better in the groomed dirt of an MX track which gives an advantage on corner exits as well as clearing jumps that have shorter run ups (I know it's possible clear the same jumps on the 2T, it's just easier on the 4T)

• Like 1

If your hearts set on a 450, I would try it. The worst that could happen is next year you might want a change. Took my new 08 out for its first ride today. I was afraid of the bike being too much of a handful but it isnt at all, and im coming off a modified XR for cripes sake. Mine will be 3/4 bush and 1/4 track bike and Im pumped about it.:banana:

How tight are the woods at your HS? All my friends ride 2 stroke KTM's in the woods. When I do an occasional tight woods trail ride on my 08 YZ 450 it's a major hand full. I race MX 90% of the time. If I were to do only HS and enduros I'd scrap my YZF and either go with a YZ 250 2 stk or a KTM e-start 2 stroke. Why dump a ton of money into a bike that's not designed for the woods? Buy a bike made for what you're going to ride and invest a fraction into it as opposed to the YZ-450.

I love my 450 even in the tight woods. For me, the smooth power delivery makes it easier to ride than a 250 smoker, which by the way, I also have ('02 YZ250). IMO, the advantages of the 450 outweigh the slight advantage that a smoker might have in the weight department, like when I need to make a pass on somebody in the woods but with only limited opportunities you need to make the most of it by being able to lay down some heavy tractable HP in a moments notice. Braaaap!

If you are concerned about cost/resale you can pick a brand new leftover '07 or '08 YZ450 for dirt cheap too.

450 all the way

Thanks for that detailed advice. Your arguement is sound.

Seriously, for every guy saying "450 all the way" there's just as many saying the opposite, so maybe some reasons as to why might be more helpful yea?

Our HS are fairly tight with some semi fast sections, and the riding I do ranges from high speed stuff to tight and twisty. Most racers seem to be on 2 stroke 250's more than anything, so that probably tells me right there what to buy if I'm taking my racing seriously.

Well I went from 04 450f to 05 250 it seemed to me I was never in the rite gear, or too much power or not enough, to much vib makes my body numb.

Now I have an 08 450f with pipe and jetting and rekluse, its so smooth the power is always there, just roll on the gas and go. The only bad thing I can say about the F's is the chain slap gets on my nerves.

MATT

Well I went from 04 450f to 05 250 it seemed to me I was never in the rite gear, or too much power or not enough, to much vib makes my body numb.

Now I have an 08 450f with pipe and jetting and rekluse, its so smooth the power is always there, just roll on the gas and go. The only bad thing I can say about the F's is the chain slap gets on my nerves.

MATT

i had the same "gear problem" when i switched from a 450 to my yz250 but when you get used to be in the right gear the 250 is a blast. I could maybe be a bit faster on a 450 but i think im "learning and working" way more on my 250

YZ if you need to turn tight. YZF if you need the motor to haul the groceries..

No matter what anyone says here are some facts to consider:

the YZ450F turns like a runaway freight train...no matter what you do

striaght line high speed stability is amazing on this bike.

with the stock pipe this bike is like a little kitty cat= put on an aftermarket exhaust (re-jet) and the power is a handful compared to a completely modified 250 2st

Dirty, for 20 extra hp and 20 extra lbs over the 250. i do not notice the bike being tiring, or to much for kamloops riding, if you notice alot of guys here are switching to 450's. the GYTR heavy clutch is the perfict combo here.go for it.

Again, if I wasn't racing I would get the 450. I want a good off road race bike that will lessen the impact on the body... well hopefully. :banana: I think if I were getting beaten up racing a 250F then a 450 will be twice as bad. I've ridden a YZ250 and a YZ450 and the 450 was not something I want to race on a tight course.

Don't get me started on all those guys I see on 450's who should be on smaller bikes. Not all but many.

'09 YZ450F vs. '08/'09 YZ250

I'm bikeless right now and I'm looking to buy in the spring. I was and still am looking at the '09 YZ450F for trails and hare scrambles. I was going to slightly mod it with a 12oz FWW and some minor trail worthy goodies. I like that its a mellowed down 450 rather than a full on screamer. Plus, its apparently quieter which I like.

I'm coming off a 250F and I'm only 175lbs nekked. The terrain here is mostly fast and wide open single track, but tight stuff is always there.

I just got the upcoming HS series schedule and there's 6 races within spitting distance from my house. I'm worried about buying a 450 then trying out a race and getting worn out from the power and the weight. Even on my 250F it was tiring.....

I had my heart set on that 450 for some time, but now that I see that race schedule I'm considering a smoker again, with a 3gal tank, 12oz FWW, maybe a Rekluse, lower gearing, etc etc.... I know 2 stroke resale values are horrid right now, but I want a very good race bike regardless of what I can sell it off for in the future.

Just thinking out loud. Good gas given for good advice.

(I'll post this in the smoker forum as well)

Well I have to tell you I would go with the 450. There are many reasons to go with each bike, but mostly is the ease of use. I used to race two smokes and I love them. Thrill to ride, light weight, easy to maintain, easy to fix, and cheaper. If you had to go with those reasons alone go with the 2 smoke. However, the fact that you are looking at an 09 seals the deal for me. I was a die hard Honda man. Rode cr 250's. I choose to make the change in 06 to a YZ450F. I couldn't believe it. SOOOOOOOO much easier to ride. The 06 I put probably 40 hours on it and never did anything to it. I sold it to my friend and he is still riding it with no problems. I moved up to an 08 which I'm riding now and have 16 hours on it and will wait till 2011. I dont want a 2010(first year of efi on the dirtbikes) because of the bugs, even though they have it out on the f wheelers. Not to mention that I have gotten good at jetting the FCR's. I believe at 175 you would scream on the 450, once you get the suspension set up, which I believe is the most important part, put some weight on the flywheel, and get it dialed in. My 08 450 is incredible, and must say that with new 08 still available you can steal one. The difference between the 08 and the 09 is not enough to tell. Yamaha is still offering 0% financing for 12 months on 08's. Check to see if you can get one. You can't go wrong.

One last point! The ease of riding. Four strokers are easier to ride. There is nothing like having the power when you need it. Blase the trail at 175, blow everyone away aand have fun. 450 is the way I would go. I did just put my 90 pound 11 year old son on a 08 YZ250f, dialed in the leak jet and set up the suspension and he rips. I did have my doubts but once he got used it It made it ever clearer that I had made the right decision. Go with an 08 Yz450F and win. I hope this helps.:banana:

• Like 1