HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
locorider

Rear Shock Leaking - What are my options

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I have noticed a couple of drops of oil on the trailer under the rear shock after our last couple of rides.

What are my options here.

Is this something I can service myself ?

If so would I need any special tools ?

Where can I find a procedure on doing it ?

Thanks.

It sounds like you have a bad shock seal, if you have no training in rear shock rebuilding i would send it out to be repaired.

I would not attempt it myself. I don't like a spring shooting at me with all that pressure. I sent mine to Factory Connection
It sounds like you have a bad shock seal, if you have no training in rear shock rebuilding i would send it out to be repaired.

You guys crack me up; next you're gonna say the sky is falling or something like that. It's a rear shock not a bomb.

If you have reasonable mechanical skills follow these instructions from Dave J at Smart Performance and you should be fine. If you don't have any skills then you probably should send it out.

Also note that the pressure setting Dave recommends are for use with his fluid only. If you use a conventional fluid fill the pressure to manufacturer specs. Also remember to write down your settings before you tear it all apart.

http://smartperformanceinc.com/YZWRSHOCKREBUILD.htm

Thanks. Any good places to buy the parts needed, seal etc.

For the guys that do send it in, how much does a rebuild typically run ?

If you can rebuild it yourself, go to your local shop and get a moose racing complete seal head. I think they run 30-40 bucks, but its a drop on seal head and the quality seems great for all the ones i've installed. If you send it out be prepared to spend in excess of $100 + shipping. Shocks aren't hard to rebuild, but it is very important to take your time to get all the air out upon reassembly.

Sorry for the quick blurbs, but where can I get the nitrogen canister refilled ? Anybody have an idea what that costs ?

I am going to try this myself, just trying to make sure I have all the bases covered.

That kit would work, I'm not sure what year your bike is but bladders don't usually need replacing very often. That kit gives you the bushing and seal that install in the stock seal head, and they can be a pain to remove and replace. The moose unit is cheaper, your local shop should be able to get it next day, and it pre-assembled, just slide it over the shock shaft and re-install your shim stacks. Getting it recharged should be as easy as taking it to a decent bike repair shop, it only takes a minute to do. Some welding supply shops also have nitrogen and can charge it to the level needed.

yep thats the kit, i think that would be the way to go for you. Make sure you check the chrome on the shock shaft for dents, chips, or gouges. Any sharp edges can tear the seal causing a leak, but seals also can just plain wear out, especially if your shock hasn't been serviced in its 5 years of use.