HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnyd05

new to the 426 as well as dirt biking!

55 posts in this topic

Just bought my first bike. it is a 01 426. The guy I got it from didn't know how many hours on it and if the piston/valves had anything done to them. The bike is in great shape on the outside. Before I start riding, what maintenance should I have performed?

I need a new rear tire, what size does it take. and what make model do u recommend?

I am new to the dirt bike thing but an avid car mechanic. where is a good place to get an assembly manual as well as buy parts?

You can find the manuals, and a lot of other things by visiting the Common Threads Sticky.

Manuals: http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

The tire currently on the bike has the size on it, but the bike takes a 110/90x19. Which tire to buy depends on where you ride, but the Dunlop 952 is a versatile, fairly inexpensive, and very durable tire that will work in more places than it won't.

The first thing you should is change the exhaust cam to auto decompression or you will hate this bike !!

I wouldnt go quite as far to say hate. when you are not farmiliar with what start technique your bike likes, then yes it can be a pain. Most people say its the best mod to do. I disagree, simply because it is an excellent theft preventer because nobody can start a manual decomp bike, who hasnt owned one before. And to me it seems like a waste of money because I have had kickstart contests with my friends who have newer yz 450s, and have won over 90% of the time. My bike fires first kick, hot or cold. I would prefer to use that money for a skidplate or tri-clamps. Just my .02

pretty much same goes for a bike as a car,so you should be good there.all the fluids,check/change,grease all the susp linkage,wheel bearings,steering stem,etc. since your handy i'd check the valves also.then ride it :thumbsup: and see what you like and dislike about the bike,post up some more ques and go from there.

Most people say (the auto decomp cam is) the best mod to do. I disagree, simply because it is an excellent theft preventer because nobody can start a manual decomp bike, who hasnt owned one before.
Favorite excuse for those in denial, #3. Besides, there are a lots of people who have never owned one, but know how to start them, my son included.
...to me it seems like a waste of money because I have had kickstart contests with my friends who have newer yz 450s, and have won over 90% of the time. My bike fires first kick, hot or cold.
I'm your huckleberry. Anytime. Mine will be running before you take your first real stab at the lever. :thumbsup:

After that, we can have a bump starting contest, followed by a challenge to see which set up can restart on the fly more readily after stalling the engine at low speed with the brake.

Resistance is futile.

Just bought my first bike. it is a 01 426. The guy I got it from didn't know how many hours on it and if the piston/valves had anything done to them. The bike is in great shape on the outside. Before I start riding, what maintenance should I have performed?

I need a new rear tire, what size does it take. and what make model do u recommend?

I am new to the dirt bike thing but an avid car mechanic. where is a good place to get an assembly manual as well as buy parts?

I also have an 01 yzf426. it's a fun bike. The auto decrompression cam is a good suggestion. I havn't done it yet, I just got good at starting the bike the way it is. It can be frustrating at first.

The exterior of the bike can give u a fair idea of amount of use. On my bike it still had stock front tire, very little wear on the sides and clutch covers which backed up the previous owners statements that the bike had been sitting unused as a second back up bike for several years.

Checking your valves is a very good idea as it will also give an indication of use. If the valves need shimmed they are probably on their way out and the bike needs some mechanical attention. Since you have experience as an auto mechanic just a copy of the manual in the link posted above should give you everything you need to do whatever the bike should need.

About riding it. I went one tooth down on the front and 2 up on the back sprocket. This slowed it down enough for me to learn how to ride it without killing myself or killing it everytime I hit a nasty spot on the trail. I found that I liked that combo enough that I just left it. Im still as fast on straight aways as about anyone, but able to go slow in technical stuff.

It's a fun bike enjoy it.

Ricky

How many teeth in the front and back? I am also new and have a 2001 yz426

that would be used more on the trails than anywhere else.

How many teeth in the front and back? I am also new and have a 2001 yz426

that would be used more on the trails than anywhere else.

13 front 51 rear,

here is a copy of my reply from another relevant thread...

On My yz426f I went to a 13/51 and it is much easier to trail ride with. It was no more complicated than an oil change. I was hill climbing it yesturday and found it just as easy to keep the front end down so I didn't feel it was too low geared. It's also still faster than my brothers yz250, I beat him twice yesturday when he pulled alongside like he wanted to race,

Also I bought a 116 link chain because I thought the larger rear sprocket would require a longer chain. I ended up cutting off one link as the 116 was too long. I think the stock 114 would have worked.

I owned an '01 YZ426 for 4 years and never did the auto-decomp cam mod. It really never bothered me to hit the decomp lever to get it fired. I had tons of fun on that bike and to this day think it had better manners down rough straights than either of my honda 450's.

It can be a handful to get into a tight rut, but it is a great bike once you get the starting drill and fuel screw/pilot jet mannerisms down.

~14/50 - I ride a combination of MX and woods. This is what I have found to be the BEST gearing. I highly recommend.

~ 110/19 Bridgstone m404 in the rear. This tire hooks nearly as good as a DUnlop 956 but the m404 lasts twice as long! It was also a cheaper tire when I bought it. Careful when you read the manual. It says 114 for the chain but you will want a few extra because using that setting, the tire will rub on linkage.

~A great mod that was worth every part of my time was the BK mod. I started riding a lot and more track and that's when I noticed the hiccup in the bike. This cured it! Amazing mod I will always stand by it.

~I don't have cam mod. My bike starts in 2-3 kicks cold because I know how to start the bike. Technique is everything. You understand that :banana: haha

Lots of good info. I too picked up a 426F middle of last season. Before the spring it too will need a chain, sprockets, fork seals, a back tire and a good carb clean. PO was a ride it and park it kinda guy.

The first thing you should is change the exhaust cam to auto decompression or you will hate this bike !!

get the starting routine down and its cake. save your money, dont listen to this. i start my bike faster than all my buddies on newer bikes...

get the starting routine down and its cake. save your money, dont listen to this. i start my bike faster than all my buddies on newer bikes...
Nonsense. I'll have mine started while you're locating the starting point for your first real kick. After that, we'll see which one is easier to bump start, and how slow you can be going and still restart on the fly after killing the engine with the brake.

Auto decompression is the single best mod for this bike.

Nonsense. I'll have mine started while you're locating the starting point for your first real kick. After that, we'll see which one is easier to bump start, and how slow you can be going and still restart on the fly after killing the engine with the brake.

Auto decompression is the single best mod for this bike.

I had a '02 426 and wish I would have done that mod. I sold the bike and bought a KTM.:)

How about a new or clean the air filter and change the oil. That would be the first thing I'd do. Take a look at the oil filter

and make sure theres no large pieces of metal shavings in there. If there is you'll probably have to take it a part to find the

problem.

I would agree the decompress lever can act as a anti-theft mechanism, the kind of idiot that would steal a bike would probably be the kind of idiot who couldn't figure it out.

I don't mind it, it becomes 2nd nature like pulling the clutch, the only reason I may ditch it is to remove the excess hardware, to make room for other goodies.

I agree with the anti theft part of the 426, especially since I am plated and legal,,,,, never had a real problem with it myself, just one embarrassment at a stoplight.... lol

I bought my 2000 426 about 8 months ago, it is my first 4-stroke. It has been quite a change going from 2-strokes all my life. So hear is what i did when I received the bike.

First was a new top end. It needed it so I figured I would do it right away. I was told to do the auto-decompression cam mod but I didn't want to spend the 200 on the new cam. So I bypassed that mod. And I do not regret. I have no problem starting my bike, hot or cold. And most of the time I am started a lot faster than my friends with newer bikes, (GRAYRACER513 - Glad to hear you are the master starter and bump starter, but it seams that more people tend to agree with this side, at least ones that gave the decompression lever a chance.)

Next was just small changes - of course oil, oil filter , air filter, jets, the nice air/fuel mixture thumb screw, re-greased the wheel bearings and new bearings for the swing arm linkage, Set the suspension sag and re-bound to your weight.

My next mod will definitely be the BK mod, i will be doing that this week. I love this bike and it has excellent power. Only downside to the bike is the weight, it is pretty heavy.