HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpyridonMexas

From WR450 to YZ450...?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, i have read all the similar threads about this but still can't decide so maybe you can help me out. I race Enduros and Hare scrambles and i also want to try MX.I'm 6.7, 246 pounds and i'm riding a WR450f 04 since 2004. I have done all the free mods and the bike is perfect, lot of power,very aggresive and fast. The only ''popular'' problem is weight. Every time i fall it's really difficult to lift the bike up. After all those years i decided to buy a new bike with aluminium frame of course. I can't decide which bike to buy, i badly want to buy a YZ450 because i know it's really light and cheaper than the WR but 1)Am i gonna be satisfied? 2)Will the YZ450 fit me? 3)Is it difficult to get used to it compared with the WR? 4)Can i ride the YZ in trails or i have to do some mods first?

since you're on a wr and really like it you'll love the new alum fr wr.personally i've owned both and don't think the button is worth the weight.the yzf makes a great trail/harescramble....light,powerful,great susp,:thumbsup:the yzf will actually require less set-up than the wr for woods,slap a fww on it and your good to go.the only real downside is the wr has the better transmission,but for the east coast it's not a real big deal.

the only real downside is the wr has the better transmission,but for the east coast it's not a real big deal.

You can put WR gears in a YZ tranny. I am going to do the big swap in the next month or so....

i seen on the yamaha site the other day that there is roughly 4kg's diff between the wr and the yz. but if you want a wr gearbox but a lighter bike buy the wr and remove all the electrics and the bonus is you have a electric starter unless your that worried about the weight. but the wr wont be as aggressive as a yz.

I went through this same decision about a year ago. I had an 07 WR and swapped to an 07 YZ. IMO the WR isn't near as good as the YZ. The only disadvantage the YZ has is the lack of e-start. If you're a good rider and don't stall and can jet a bike properly this doesn't matter. Remember the e-start only means something when the bike isn't running once the ride starts it doesn't matter how the bike got started.

The YZ is better in terms of power, weight, and SUSPENSION. You could deo everything possible to the WR suspension in terms of re-valve, springs, trick coatings, whatever, and it would almost be as good as the stock YZ stuff. Also, as far as the gearing, the YZ can be "mostly" fixed with a sprocket change.

I made the switch and will never go back to the WR.

Nate

At your weight, you will likely need to re-spring either bike. i personally would buy the WR and remove all the fluff they have (lights, odometer drive) and revalve the susp to suit me.

------ but --- i am 5'8" and not 6'7", i can barely get my dang YZF re-started if and when i stall it and that E-start button sounds like heaven on earth. But you, at 6'7" , are not nearly as vertically challenged, so that is a non issue for you.

I am contemplating purchasing a WR (to complement my YZ, not replace it) strictly for trail riding and to dual sport tag it ---- but i am willing to replace cams, have the head worked over and change ignition modules to get the power into YZ territory. Again --- this is all because i am in love with that button -- since you are a foot taller than me, i imagine started a YZF for you would be akin to me kicking over a RM85 -- child's play

Good luck with whatever you decide --- reportedly the new AL frame WR's really close the gap on the ?YZ in terms of weight and handling compared to the steel framed ones like your current scoot

Thank you all for the replies, i decided to buy the 09 YZ450, so next week i'll post some photos. Thanks again.:banana:

I went from a WR250 to an 08 YZ450 and couldnt be happier. My concern was starting. The e-start was very nice. Make sure you read up on the starting routine. Grayracer has written on this and i used his routine and rarely have problems. Good luck!