leaky petcock

I have a 2000 400, and the petcock has leaked since i have owned it in the ON postion only, so I just rode it in RES. Well now it leaks in reserve too. So, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need a whole new petcock?If so, anybody got a second hand one?

In an unrelated matter my throttle stays WFO, and won't snap back closed, the grip is not rubbing on the handguard, and I see no mud/dirt packed into the throttle tube. Any ideas, besides, lubing the cable?

I have a 2000 400, and the petcock has leaked since i have owned it in the ON postion only, so I just rode it in RES. Well now it leaks in reserve too. So, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need a whole new petcock?If so, anybody got a second hand one?

In an unrelated matter my throttle stays WFO, and won't snap back closed, the grip is not rubbing on the handguard, and I see no mud/dirt packed into the throttle tube. Any ideas, besides, lubing the cable?

There is a rubber gasket on the petcock. You may just need to get a new one of those. Check the parts fiche

• 1 month later...

i too have a leaky petcock on my yz125, and i too think it's pretty funny to say that, hehe

i just searched the boards here for 'leaky petcock' and low and behold there is an entire thread dedicated to leaky petcocks. thanks for the info guys, i (or my hubby to be more precise) will check out the o-ring asap.

Petcock as stated above - oring.

Throttle - wash/lube cables first - use fogging oil or wd40 and wash them - the way I do it is hang them in a U so they retain the oil inside and move the ends back and forth then drop one side to drain and flush through some more - repeat - also inspect for fraying at visible ends - replace if necessary.

Another reason for throttle tube sticking (yours sounds like it may fall under this category) - the plastic tube will deform over time and start to angle differently then the solid handle running inside it as well, it can become oval and start to rub because of the differences in space created inside.

Best fix - Aluminum Throttle tube.