Busted the clutch cover-99zy400f

My clutch started to go on a rock ride and got all grabby. Next thing I know it grabbed when I wanted to slip and threw me into the side of a boulder and shoved the brake lever into the side cover. The cover might be salvagable but I'd like a better heavy duty cover since I ride a lot of rocks. I haven't been able to find anything other than stock covers for these 10 year old bikes and was wondering if anybody knew of something else out there that I can use. I did find one used stock cover on ebay for $50 but was also wondering what other models use the same cover. I'm sure the 98 & 99 YZ covers are the same but what about the WR 400s or even the 426 models. Do they all have the same side cover or are they different?

Thanks for any help.

I was looking at the Boyesen Racing clutch cover in Rocky Mnt catalog and don't understand why they only list this as fitting the WR/YZ 250 & 450. If they're all the same why wouldn't they also list the 426 & 400 models?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got in a used clutch cover from a 2004 zy450f and I can tell you that it is definitely not the same as the 1999 yz400f. The hole patterns are off by over 1/2" and it is deeper so it definitely will not work. Just wanted to get this info and there and dispell any rumors that they are all the same because they aren't.

I just got in a used clutch cover from a 2004 zy450f and I can tell you that it is definitely not the same as the 1999 yz400f. The hole patterns are off by over 1/2" and it is deeper so it definitely will not work. Just wanted to get this info and there and dispell any rumors that they are all the same because they aren't.

You are right about the part application, But the CFC part fits all years 99-09

• 1 year later...

what is needed to fit the 426 clutch to a 400 wr EG will the clutch basket fit on to the 400 gear box main sharft is the gear the same behind basket will the 426 clutch fit inside the case I got my self a 2000 MD 426 Rekluse Z start clutch fit thinking it wood fit a 2000 MD 400wr

• 2 weeks later...

All right this is the go the 426 clutch is 6mm bigger than the 400 clutch and has 6 springs the 400 has only 5 The 426 clutch will and does fit the 400 ...then you through a z start clutch on top all is good

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to get a slipper clutch onto my 400 so I have tried a few different combos. The 426 clutch will fit a 400, if you also intall the clutch cover from a 426. The cover has a larger area for the basket as the 426 clutch basket is larger in diameter. I currently have a 426 cover on my 400 but am still using the 400 basket as my 03 450 basket is just different enough that it won't work without some mods done to the main shaft.

Not sure about the WR but I do know the YZ swap will work.

Glenn

Edited by SB2