Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tntmo

Best stock Yam exhaust for 99 WR400?

12 posts in this topic

I've owned my WR for about five years and it's had an aftermarket exhaust system for the entire time. I've repacked it a few times but it's always loud and I'm finally fed up with it.

What would be the best exhaust from 98-08 Yamaha YZ/WR to make work on this bike? I can modify mounts if needed. I think I can come up with the stock 99 pipe, but is there a better stock option?

Anyone?

I know at least one member here had an 07 WR pipe on his WR400 and said it worked well. Is there any other suggestions?

I have the same bike and I've tried several pipes. The stock one with the GYTR insert is a quiet cheep upgrade.

I'm currently running the power bomb header and the Q4 FMF pipe. This is the best that I have tried. It gives the bike nice top end, but improved mid range torgue.

Have you removed the throttle stop? This is behind the black cap on the side of the carb. Remove the needle with a 7mm wrench or a pair of good needle noise pliers. This mod will make your bike feel like a new machine.

I would also do the grey wire mod. It all over this sight, but it's under the tank on the right side of the bike. You will see a blk and a grey wire connector, Just disconnect the grey wire and tape it up. You'll love these mods and the pipe.

I don't want even think about a new bike anymore.

:banana:

I have the same bike and I've tried several pipes. The stock one with the GYTR insert is a quiet cheep upgrade.

I'm currently running the power bomb header and the Q4 FMF pipe. This is the best that I have tried. It gives the bike nice top end, but improved mid range torgue.

Have you removed the throttle stop? This is behind the black cap on the side of the carb. Remove the needle with a 7mm wrench or a pair of good needle noise pliers. This mod will make your bike feel like a new machine.

I would also do the grey wire mod. It all over this sight, but it's under the tank on the right side of the bike. You will see a blk and a grey wire connector, Just disconnect the grey wire and tape it up. You'll love these mods and the pipe.

I've had the bike in YZ specs(throttle stop, gray wire, cam) since a month after I got it. I've had a WB E series pipe on it for several years, but it's getting worn out and I'm sick of the noise. Looks like I might be getting a 07 WR450 pipe to try out, we'll see how it works. The bike has plenty of power, don't think the exhaust will make me wish for more.

I like the bike feels with the FMF powerbomb and Q4. I got a good deal at Afterbuner MX for the entire system. They have the header for 159.99 in Stainless. You could alway use this with the Yamaha muffler as well. let me know if you get the 07 pipe on your bike, I'm curious how if feels. The main reason I went with the Q4 was that it was fairly quiet and powerful. My stock pipe with the GYTR insert and the powerbomb head is something that I haven't tried yet, but it could be nice as well.

I feel the same as you about the load pipes, they start to annoy you and everyone around you. Quiet and fast is the way to go. Enjoy the new system when you decide.

BTW-I took my stop completely out and it give you more power range in each gear. You should try it if you want the carb to open all the way. It's a huge difference in top power band. If your concerned about it sticking open, It has never stuck open on me in 9 years.

I'm running a stock 02 YZ-F pipe on my 426, along with a Pro Moto Billet Spark Arrestor end cap with a quiet insert. Runs a whole lot better than the stock WR exhaust. ..total cost was a buck and a quarter...

QUOTE=glentron;7550320]I have the same bike and I've tried several pipes. The stock one with the GYTR insert is a quiet cheep upgrade.

Do you have any pics of this installed on the bike? If not is the Q4 shorter like the one for the 03 and newer or is it just as long as any older Q for 02 and older?

I'm running a stock 02 YZ-F pipe on my 426, along with a Pro Moto Billet Spark Arrestor end cap with a quiet insert. Runs a whole lot better than the stock WR exhaust. ..total cost was a buck and a quarter...

I have the same setup on my 02'. Picked up the pipe off ebay for 50 bones then add the cost of the Pro Moto Billet S/A endcap and I'm well under an aftermarket system. It may not be quite as good as some others but was a significant upgrade over the stock WR exhaust, and once I got the jetting figured out (J.D. Jetting) this thing rips:thumbsup: :banana: With the quiet insert it is not too bad on the ears either. Of course all the free mods are done too.

My bike had the stock pipe w/GYTR insert when I got it. Nice, but I wanted more, so I got lucky with a full Big Gun system. Scored off the bay of E for $129 + shipping:) Anyway, the stock w/insert was a happy medium of power/sound.

I rode an '00 WR400 for the last 4 years, it had a Big Gun full exhaust on it when I got it. The bike ripped in the mid range and on top, but lacked the bottom end grunt that I like. The stock exhaust with the GYTR insert worked just fine and passed the sound tests at the dual sports that I rode.

I had the Big Gun system on mine as well. The Big Gun was amazing at the mid to high end. It was a long time ago, but it was very load, but fast and furious for sure. The new Q4 with the powerbomb header has given me improved mid and low end grunt, but the top end is nice as well. I don't struggle with the set up at all. I guess the Q4 is rate at 96 dB according the FMF. The pipe is farely quiet, but it's not whimpy either.

Anyway if your riding your a happy man. Good luck getting out of the kitchen.