HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2001YZF426Rider

450 body conversion

27 posts in this topic

ok i have searched again but i cant find what i found before..

will the subframe etc from a 03 and up yzf250 work? I thought i read that it would but cant find it anywhere anymore..

Also has anyone else on here modified the 426 subframe to work with the 450 seat and airbox? If so how hard was it and what had to be done?

Thanks, Eric.

Ok i am now starting to gather parts for the conversion. I have on the way a subframe and airbox from a 03 250f, a rear master from an wr450, and soon to have a seat and tank..

What i will need now is the tank brackets, i cant find the name of the guy who made them, does anyone know?

And also, i have a Guts Racing tall seat foam and cover on my 426, will these work for the 450 seat base?

Satch fabricated his tank brackets for the original conversion using the 450 parts. Try sending him a P.M.

He does not post much anymore but if he gets the P.M. he will respond, he is a great guy.

Bill

Yea I did this conversion to my 426 a couple years back. It was a fun project and the bike looked sick once I was done. yea all you need is the tank, subframe, rear master cylinder and the plastics for an '03-'05 450/250f. I fabricated the tank brackets out of some metal that I had laying around in the garage. If I remember right I got the template for the tank brackets from one of the original people who did this conversion. Unfortunately I don't have access to them cuz im currently stationed overseas in the AF. Maybe you can try getting a hold of the template from someone else who has done this conversion.

Good Luck!

is there really that much of an advantage in doin this other then the bling factor? i already have the titanium subframe on mine with carbon airbox and sideplates sooooo?

I scored a sweet deal on a subframe, airbox, and side panels, all for 100 shipped, the subframe is powdercoated black too!! A buddy has a rear master for me too..

The sucky part is i just bought a guts racing tall seat and cover for my bike this summer and now it wont fit a 450 seat!! DOH

is there really that much of an advantage in doin this other then the bling factor? i already have the titanium subframe on mine with carbon airbox and sideplates sooooo?

Slimmer seat/tank junction and more graphics available for the 450 body work.

Bill

Slimmer seat/tank junction and more graphics available for the 4550 body work.

Bill

bling factor i kinda figured...slimmer seat and junction could be interestin though...like a huge difference is this or no? my seat is shaved down nicely already since im a short ass just wonderin if the pita would even be worth it

DCP_6222.jpg

I just took a piece of scrap aluminum and drilled a hole at the top to fit over the original mounting lug on the frame. After fitting the tank you can figure where to drill and tap threads at the bottom of the bracket for the new tank mount. Once everything was finalized, I loctited around the upper screw/lug to keep it from moving.

DCP_6225.jpg

DCP_6224.jpg

DCP_6223.jpg

Thats how I did mine too. I just mocked the tank up on the frame then use a Hole transfer punch to get the final lenght. I really didn't measure it. I drilled and tapped the holes so the tank would be secure.

I trimmed the subframe in place of trimming the Main Frame. This way If I wanted to convert it back it wouldn't be a problem.

I have a subframe airbox and side panels in the mail, i have a rear master at a buddies house. Now i just need a seat tank and shrouds and rear fender!!