Chain Slapping 08 YZ450F

Hey Guys. I have read all of the posts that came up when I searched for this topic already but still don't get it. I have an 08 450F and just put a Renthal O-Ring Chain (R3 Gold) and Sprocket set on there. I went from the stock chain on there before. I have the chain adjusted at a constant 1 7/8 to 2" from the rear chain slider bolt and this thing is slapping my swingarm and slider to death. The stock chain did nothing of the sort and was nice and quiet all though it wore out real fast. Does this have something to do with the added weight and strength of the O-Ring chain or could it be the brand that I bought. I know a lot of people say to run a DID. Would a DID stop the crazy slapping? Any advice? I was thinking about a TM designworks chain slider or even going back to a non o ng chain but want some opinions first. Thanks. :thinking:

Yeah, the bike is on the stand when I measure. The wheel is definitly alligned. I have aftermarket blocks and I measured the distance on both sides. Not with calipers but with a ruler. I am thinking it has to be the O-Ring chain. The wierd thing is that my buddy is running the same set up on a YZ 250 2-Smoke and he does not have any slapping. Probably has something to do with the Torque tho. Man I want to fix this. :thinking:

Hey Guys. I have read all of the posts that came up when I searched for this topic already but still don't get it. I have an 08 450F and just put a Renthal O-Ring Chain (R3 Gold) and Sprocket set on there. I went from the stock chain on there before. I have the chain adjusted at a constant 1 7/8 to 2" from the rear chain slider bolt and this thing is slapping my swingarm and slider to death. The stock chain did nothing of the sort and was nice and quiet all though it wore out real fast. Does this have something to do with the added weight and strength of the O-Ring chain or could it be the brand that I bought. I know a lot of people say to run a DID. Would a DID stop the crazy slapping? Any advice? I was thinking about a TM designworks chain slider or even going back to a non o ng chain but want some opinions first. Thanks. ?

I run 1.5-2 inch of slack and dont have a problem with slapping.

Well I guess I have two problems. I have been lugging the bike and I have an O-Ring chain. I will Go DID. What is the strongest non O-Ring chain anyone has come across? I will search too. ?

I used red (actually pink) EK 520MRD6 chain once, non o-ring and it had higher strength rating than the best O-ring chains. I was actully put off ny the colour, thinking that I was paying for colour and not quality, the truth is the opposite. Best chain I had ever ridden with and I can highly recommend.

• 4 weeks later...
Minimum slack on an '06 or later is 1.9" (see the manual). Running the chain any tighter risks breaking the chain, the rear hub, or damaging the transmission.

09 manual calls for 2"-2.4" wonder if it has something to do with the new swingarm.