Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeyT750

Chain Slapping 08 YZ450F

21 posts in this topic

Hey Guys. I have read all of the posts that came up when I searched for this topic already but still don't get it. I have an 08 450F and just put a Renthal O-Ring Chain (R3 Gold) and Sprocket set on there. I went from the stock chain on there before. I have the chain adjusted at a constant 1 7/8 to 2" from the rear chain slider bolt and this thing is slapping my swingarm and slider to death. The stock chain did nothing of the sort and was nice and quiet all though it wore out real fast. Does this have something to do with the added weight and strength of the O-Ring chain or could it be the brand that I bought. I know a lot of people say to run a DID. Would a DID stop the crazy slapping? Any advice? I was thinking about a TM designworks chain slider or even going back to a non o ng chain but want some opinions first. Thanks. :thinking:

Make sure the chain is aligned properly. I have a renthal gold chain on my 08 and have no problems. Was the rear wheel entirely off the ground before you took the measurement. The notches on the swingarm are off a little. My chain is an non o ring.

Yeah, the bike is on the stand when I measure. The wheel is definitly alligned. I have aftermarket blocks and I measured the distance on both sides. Not with calipers but with a ruler. I am thinking it has to be the O-Ring chain. The wierd thing is that my buddy is running the same set up on a YZ 250 2-Smoke and he does not have any slapping. Probably has something to do with the Torque tho. Man I want to fix this. :thinking:

Thats weird, My stock chain on my 08 constantly needed to be adjusted and slapped my swingarm enough to put some pretty deep scratches in it. I haven't had this problem since I switched to the renthal R1 gold. I'd say forget the O Ring.

Lugging a 4 stroke means chain slap because the engine doesn`t have enough inertia to work smoothly.

my 450 had slapping noise with the original chain and with did o-ring.

i 2 grinded the frame preety bad, beacuse of the crap original chain, after 30 min its was to slack, so i went to the did, and have no problem any more.

Well I guess I have two problems. I have been lugging the bike and I have an O-Ring chain. I will Go DID. What is the strongest non O-Ring chain anyone has come across? I will search too. :thumbsup:

Strength isn't the issue. The strongest available 520 O-ring chain is about twice as strong, literally, as is necessary in reality. The attribute you should look for is wear resistance and durability. The Regina ORN6 has served me very well in that regard, and I usually get 1.5 to 2 years of service from one.

I hear you Grayracer and I found your thread about the Regina and how the Renthal is an expensive Regina ORN-6. I just hate the slapping it does when ever I am not high in the RPM's.

Hey Guys. I have read all of the posts that came up when I searched for this topic already but still don't get it. I have an 08 450F and just put a Renthal O-Ring Chain (R3 Gold) and Sprocket set on there. I went from the stock chain on there before. I have the chain adjusted at a constant 1 7/8 to 2" from the rear chain slider bolt and this thing is slapping my swingarm and slider to death. The stock chain did nothing of the sort and was nice and quiet all though it wore out real fast. Does this have something to do with the added weight and strength of the O-Ring chain or could it be the brand that I bought. I know a lot of people say to run a DID. Would a DID stop the crazy slapping? Any advice? I was thinking about a TM designworks chain slider or even going back to a non o ng chain but want some opinions first. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I run 1.5-2 inch of slack and dont have a problem with slapping.

Well I guess I have two problems. I have been lugging the bike and I have an O-Ring chain. I will Go DID. What is the strongest non O-Ring chain anyone has come across? I will search too. :thumbsup:

I used red (actually pink) EK 520MRD6 chain once, non o-ring and it had higher strength rating than the best O-ring chains. I was actully put off ny the colour, thinking that I was paying for colour and not quality, the truth is the opposite. Best chain I had ever ridden with and I can highly recommend.

Thanks man

I just ordered one. The slapping is driving me Banana Sandwitch. Ha, Ha.. I will let you know how it works.

I run 1.5-2 inch of slack and dont have a problem with slapping.
Minimum slack on an '06 or later is 1.9" (see the manual). Running the chain any tighter risks breaking the chain, the rear hub, or damaging the transmission.

Well I have got to say that I am impressed. I got the EK 520MRD6 chain and threw it on there. I had to adjust it after the 1st ride, but now it is solid and dosen't look to be stretching anymore. NO MORE SLAPPING either. :lol:

Minimum slack on an '06 or later is 1.9" (see the manual). Running the chain any tighter risks breaking the chain, the rear hub, or damaging the transmission.

09 manual calls for 2"-2.4" wonder if it has something to do with the new swingarm.

09 manual calls for 2"-2.4" wonder if it has something to do with the new swingarm.
Quite possibly.

Well I have got to say that I am impressed. I got the EK 520MRD6 chain and threw it on there. I had to adjust it after the 1st ride, but now it is solid and dosen't look to be stretching anymore. NO MORE SLAPPING either. :lol:

Awesome stuff so stoked I could help bud!

Hi! I have the same DID EK 520MRD6 chain. I had to adjust it after each ride

, i did take 1 link out to. for me no more DID. Good luck

drop a did on mine it being adjusted twice. Always being chain slap from new , I think its just the toque of the big 450cc 4 strokes running at low revs.