WR450.. My first ride.....................

Today I finally had a chance to ride my new bike. I live in SoCal and went out for a day in the desert. I've been riding an 01 WR426 for two years and before that I rode a 98 WR400 for 3 years. I was curious to see how the new bike would stack up against the previous models.

The motor is very different feeling than previous models. It doesn't have the big hit that the 426 has, the power just rolls on bigtime... The new bike has a lot more bottom end. The suspension is unbelievable.... It soaks up everything in front of you....The new bike feels 20 pounds lighter too..

I think the biggest thing I noticed was how well the bike crawls in first gear. You can be going 5mph going up a very steep single track rocky trail and use the clutch to control the bike... Very impressive!! The new bike doesn't stall at all, just motors up everything....

The clutch action was perfect!! Silent... I rode my friends new KTM525exc back to back today and noticed the loud,very loud clutch on the KTM... My friend claims both of his KTM's sound that way and so does every other KTM he knows of. My clutch was completely perfect in every way.... The E-start was perfect in every way, the bike ran better than I could ever imagine...

I'm so pumped on this bike.. It's the best bike I've ever ridden period!! Does everything you want and more, It tracks straight over whoops and has power everywhere. In fifth gear I could easily wheelie almost anywhere in the powerband forever.

If you're waiting for a WR450f it's worth the wait. This is the "WR" forum and I feel I'm allowed to say this... I rode a KTM525exc back to back today with my WR450 and the KTM doesn't even come close... Sorry, I know I'm asking for a flaming but the 525 is just sloppy compaired to the new WR. The suspension was all over the place when the WR was solid and steered straight in every situation, the Yamaha has a planted feel that keeps you in a straight line....I feel I can go faster on the WR than any other bike I've ridden...

This is just my own opinion........

It's worth the wait.....You'll thank me, and agree, I promise!!!!

Dan

The motor is very different feeling than previous models. It doesn't have the big hit that the 426 has, the power just rolls on bigtime... The new bike has a lot more bottom end. The suspension is unbelievable.... It soaks up everything in front of you....The new bike feels 20 pounds lighter too..

I think the biggest thing I noticed was how well the bike crawls in first gear. You can be going 5mph going up a very steep single track rocky trail and use the clutch to control the bike... Very impressive!! The new bike doesn't stall at all, just motors up everything....

Sounds like you love your new Motorcycle. That's great. If you don't mind me commenting on your post.

My 02' WR426FP feels and acts the same as you have mentioned above. So how much better is the 03' WR450 compared to the 02' WR426? I guess it's personal opinion? But you had a 01' WR426 so I guess this does not apply.

Ah, come on Dan, you're making me call my bank! I just got my 426 last February and now your making me want to get a 450! I love my 426, but that low end sounds nice. I never thought that the 450 would be such an improvement on low end. You're hurting my wallet's feelings.

Glad you had a great ride! The 450 is a blast to ride. Easy to manage in the tight stuff and ripping power to loft the front wheel anytime you want to, just like you said.

I like how Yamaha made changing the air filter so easy. The combination of e-start and new auto decomp. cam is too nice after doing the "drill" for so long. I agree great bikes!

I got my WR450 yesterday. tore it down to grease and put jets in today. Got plastic and springs coming Thursday. Have not even ridden it yet. Hope I get the same feeling you have. Thanks for the post, I feel much better now.

ROD

Dang Dan! I was hoping not to have to buy a new bike. Now, you've gone and spoiled the whole thing for me. Is it really that much better than my 520 even with a properly set up suspension? ? You know, you could be a very bad influence. I have a Yamaha card with zero balance. I also happen to like the color blue. Jeez Dan. Is it GREEN sticker? Oh, ok. Whew! Saved! :D This is usually the time of year I go buy a new bike. "Hello, my name is Paul. I am a bikeaholic." Damn Dan, do you have to be so honest? Couldn't you say one thing nice about the 525 just so I don't have to go order a WR450! :D :D :D :D

better than my 520 even with a properly set up suspension?

Pauly, Honestly the KTM was NOT set up for me so maybe it's unfair to compare them at the time. I've ridden other 520's and they were similar the to the 525 that I rode yesterday. I really want you to ride my bike, it's everything I could ever ask for and more... Now let's test that great resale value on that 520..

peace, Your buddy-Dan

Danny,

I kind of have to defend the KTM owners since it was MY ktm you rode. The bike is set up very SOFT. The fork are pushed up as high as they can go in the triple clamp and there was almost NO preload on the rear shock. I don't ride very agressive and I prefer the bike a little lower because I am 5'5" Tall. If you really want to compare them side by side I can restore the bike back to the settings that KTM delivers the bike with.

I did ride Danny's wr450 and thought it handled very good. It felt lighter than it really weighs. It turns quick and has very controllable power (at least the portion I used). The WR rode like it was shorter in length than the 525 and it felt and that was good in tight sections.

Dale

Dan quick question. I have bought MX'rs and converted them over to enduro and off road rides for years. I like the "hit" they give. I have a 2000 WR400 that I YZ timed and I like that too. So I'm just wondering "hit" wise how you think they compare. I raced my WR for the first time yesterday and liked it, except the 2 times I killed it and had to go through the drill to start it. So the 450 is looking mighty enticing.

Dan, I have no doubt that the new WR450 handles extremely well. I always thought and still do, that my WR400 was a good hanlding bike. Yamaha had a great platform upon which to build its new line of bikes. Sounds like they hit the mark. I can't wait to try one. ?

Cheers, Paul

Congratulations to you and the other new 450 owners who've waited so patiently for your bikes. I wish I could join you guys as a new owner. It really broke my heart to hear about the new starter and the extra displacement after I'd picked up the other 426. I hope to sell one of mine around the end of the year if I can negotiate the price down on a 450 that didn't sell. Hopefully they won't sell out, but I've heard that availability will be less. That'll help hold the value of ya'lls new bikes. It sure didn't help the value of mine.

Dan, how would you compare a good rip through the gears. I'm really curious how they compare through the powerband. An easier to control low to uppermid would help me in the Nat'l forest where I find myself riding a gear higher than I prefer to. My 426 comes on the pipe and generates more power to the wheel than the trail can handle. I can do better by feathering the clutch in a higher gear and using momentum and smoothness to maintain speed.

I can't wait to hear more about your bikes and the mods, especially those free ones, in the months to come.

Have fun guys, Kelly

Dan, Thanks for the review. Not having ridden a dirt bike in over 20 years, my 02 WR426 is nothing short of a dream scoot for me. I can't imagine a better handling & performing machine. I can't wait for my first WR450 ride. Sounds like the bar has been set. ?

Thanks Dan

Dan, how would you compare a good rip through the gears. I'm really curious how they compare through the powerband. An easier to control low to uppermid would help me

Kelly and Enduro, I have to admit that I really loved the "hit" of my 01 WR426, meaning I like coming out of a corner and having the bike instantly take off.. The 450 is more mellow on the bottom and then gradually rips your arms off, kind of like a KTM520 just smooth power everywhere. Like I said in the original post, crawling over rocks in first gear was easier than ever. You know how you're climbing a hill and the trail is real soft and then you come up on some rocks? On my 426 the bike is more likely to either wheelie or stall when instant traction occurs, not the 450, it just takes it all with authority, all traction...

I picked up my WR450 late Friday night (my dealer is open 'till 8:00 on Fri) couldn't ride untill about 5:00 pm monday. It was worth the wait!!!! This bike is fantastic!! I came off a 99 TTR250. It's dry weight was 259 lbs. The WR feels like it is about 100lbs lighter. The bike corners like a dream. This is going to take some getting used to. Comming of the TTR, I am going to leave the throttle stop in for now. :D I'm sneeking out of work early tomorrow to come home and ride again. ?

It does seem a little lean. Does everyones header get chery while riding?