header gasket question

So I'm finally getting around to swapping out my stock 400 header to a stock 426 header. This is supposed to alleviate the oil filter access problem. My question is, do I need to replace the gasket at the exhaust port?If so do I use one for my 400 or do I use one for a 426. Thanks

So I'm finally getting around to swapping out my stock 400 header to a stock 426 header. This is supposed to alleviate the oil filter access problem. My question is, do I need to replace the gasket at the exhaust port?If so do I use one for my 400 or do I use one for a 426. Thanks

As long as the gasket is not damaged, you don't. There's no difference in diameters. Just bolt it up and go:thumbsup:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping

For those who want to, a piece of bare, solid copper 8 gauge ground wire makes an excellent header gasket, and doesn't hang out into the port the way the original one often does.

When R&R'ing the same pipe, it's rarely necessary to replace the gasket, if it's in good shape, exactly as SXP said. But, when changing from one pipe to another, it can SOMETIMES happen that the header doesn't sit against the head exactly the same as the last one did, and you may find it hard to seal for that reason. If so, a new gasket will fix it.