HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kenaroo

help with Marzocchi 45 mm shivers

10 posts in this topic

I'm currently trying to improve my Marzocchi Shiver 45's on my Beta 525. The fork action is acceptable except that the forks are blowing through the stroke on flat landings and "g" outs. .

The springs are .48's for my 210 lbs. 5 wt oil 90 mm from the top. I'm an 0-40 expert racing gps and hare scrambles here in Texas

The internal set-up is very basic. The base valve is shimmed heavy. The rebound shim stack is also heavy. There's no mid-valve, just a check valve set-up.

The base valve piston has very restrictive flow with only four 2 mm holes that feed the oil flow to the shim stack.

The Base Valve stack is as follows:

23 x 0.15

23 x 0.15

12 x 0.10 (cross over)

23 x 0.10

21 x 0.10

19 x 0.10

17 x 0.15

15 x 0.15

13 x 0.20

10 (base valve body)

The dampening valve (rebound check valve) is as follows:

22 x 0.10

22 x 0.10

22 x 0.10

22 x 0.10

Top of the valve has a check plate and light spring.

Could one of you suspension experts add their thoughts on this shim combination.

where is your comp clicker? and what have you tried with it? and how did it feel if you adjusted it?

I'm in Austin.

I have an 05 525 rr

running 2.5 wt oil 90 mm height.

Comp is 14 from full tight

rebound is 10 from full tight.

if I tighten her up any more I get killer arm pump and the bike doesn't handle.

with the current settings. she's real good through the trees and if I land perfect on the MX track (which doesn't happen very often).

problem is hard hits and g out.. it just "blows through the stroke and bottoms really hard.. no noise but I hear and feel the tire hit the fender/head pipe

tell me the model year of your Beta

bye

Zac

running 2.5 wt oil 90 mm height.

the oil is way too thin. The zocchi asks for 7.5wt

the oil is way too thin. The zocchi asks for 7.5wt

that was it.. looked on the PVDesigns wiki to come up a mix of fluids to get the most consistant level equal to the Marzocchi oil.

made all the difference.. no more harsh bottoming.

started off at 100 mm from top (enduro setting) and ended up going with 90 mm from top (recommended for MX)

my settings are 7 clicks from soft on compression and 10 clicks from soft on the rebound. so I might re shim the compression to get a the clickers more to middle and make a tad more supple over the chop.

thanks for the feedback

The zocchi asks for 7.5wt

that was it..

[...]

made all the difference.. no more harsh bottoming.

that's something Marzocchi victims have to be aware of.

You need 7.5wt oil. The reason is that the basevalve face shim OD is 21mm.

To cover the piston bores you'd need an OD of 22mm though.

That results in a free bleed.

Now, if you're using a thin oil, there's hardly any resistance and it's running through the remaining small openings like hell.

That's avoided by using the 7.5wt oil. For this thick oil it's much more difficult to pass the opening => you can't get a pig through an eye of a needle :thumbsup:

If you want to use 5wt oil you have to replace the 21 shims by 22s

1 person likes this