450 throttle stop/grey wire mod...

As far as a grey wire mod I do not think there is one for the WR450.

The throttle stop is easy. just repleace the stock stop with one from a yz450. It is clean and simple.

Yamaha part # for the yz stop is 5JG-14591-00

The stop is located at the back of the carb near the top. It is a black alen head bolt. You do not need to remove anything to get to it.

I don't have any pictures of it and it is not shown in the owners manual. If you can not find it I am sure your dealer can point it out to you.

wr250rr, I've heard rumors, but no facts, that the throttle could open to far and get jammed or something like that. I have also heard that if the throttle opens to far that the black box will do weird things to the engine.

I have also heard that the needle wobbles more and wears out faster if the throttle opens to much.

So I figure I'll put a $10.00 part on the bike if nothing more than state of mind.

• 8 years later...
What does the gray wire connect to? What is it there for in the first place?

It's an extra ground going to the CDI. If the grey ground wire is connected the CDI is programmed for the stock throttle stop. If it's disconnected it changes to YZ spec programming. Both need to be done together to be right... (close enough description anyway)