HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smokindagreen

450 throttle stop/grey wire mod...

19 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone new of a site that all the technical step by step info and pics you need to know about the throttle stop & grey wire mods?

please help as i would like to see some instructions and pictures to go with it.

all help would be greatfull !!! :)

As far as a grey wire mod I do not think there is one for the WR450.

The throttle stop is easy. just repleace the stock stop with one from a yz450. It is clean and simple.

Yamaha part # for the yz stop is 5JG-14591-00

The stop is located at the back of the carb near the top. It is a black alen head bolt. You do not need to remove anything to get to it.

I don't have any pictures of it and it is not shown in the owners manual. If you can not find it I am sure your dealer can point it out to you.

For the throttle stop just follow the cover for the throttle cables down and you'll see it on the bottom of the cover.I just did the swap and it was easy.Boy that stock one is a long sucker. :)

My dealer clipped the grey wire on my new 450 and it starts and runs excellent. Not sure what it would have run like with it connected but I have no problems with it disconnected.

wr250rr, I've heard rumors, but no facts, that the throttle could open to far and get jammed or something like that. I have also heard that if the throttle opens to far that the black box will do weird things to the engine.

I have also heard that the needle wobbles more and wears out faster if the throttle opens to much.

So I figure I'll put a $10.00 part on the bike if nothing more than state of mind.

Jonesy, cut off 11mm. I bought the YZ one and measured both of them. The WR one is 34mm long, and the YZ one is 23mm long.

Jeff

YouTube has some videos on the throttle mod and grey wire mod. I didn't cut the gray wire, I just poped it off the wire harness.

What does the gray wire connect to? What is it there for in the first place?

It's an extra ground going to the CDI. If the grey ground wire is connected the CDI is programmed for the stock throttle stop. If it's disconnected it changes to YZ spec programming. Both need to be done together to be right... (close enough description anyway)

holy thread resurrection batman!

LOL, when I answered I didn't notice it had been dug up from the dead.

Can't you just remove the throttle stop entirely?

Thats what I did on my 01 wr250.

if you do that youll suck dirt in the carb without an air filter...

That is an AWESOME link!!! I've been looking for something like this for a while!!!

Thanks "the_smoo" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smirk:

Gotta give credit to the owner of that page... I just found it a month or so ago:thumbsup: