HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucas_wr450

2004 WR450 Coolant issue

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've got a 04 Wr450 and after riding it the coolant heats up (obviously) and flows into the overflow tank, my problem is that it never flows back into the radiator, even after overnight cooling. I have changed the radiator cap and the line is clear, does anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

Cheers

Lucas

Had a similar problem on my big bore 426 (444). It turned out to be a blown head gasket. Two things happened...first, when running, the water jackets were pressurized by the compression leaking into them, forcing more coolant out of the radiators than could be recovered, and second, the vacuum necessary to suck the coolant back into the radiators couldn't be generated, because the cooling system was vented into the cylinder thru the blown gasket.

Make sure that there are no vacuum leaks in the line that runs between the radiator and the catch tank (especially at the connection to the radiator), and then have the cooling system pressure checked.

i thought about the head gasket but there are no visible leaks anywhere and with the rad cap off there are no bubbles forming in the radiator, but i'll have to pressure check it.

i thought about the head gasket but there are no visible leaks anywhere and with the rad cap off there are no bubbles forming in the radiator, but i'll have to pressure check it.

Mine was the same way. The leak was a small one between the water jacket and cylinder at the rear of the head where the stud comes thru the boss on the barrel. No bubbles in the coolant (which I found odd), no water in the oil or oil in the water either, which wasn't so odd as it was a small leak into the combustion chamber on a fairly fresh engine rebuild.

My bike just started displaying the same symptoms again yesterday on a 100 mile desert loop. I'm wondering if the combination of big bore and hi-compression is a bit much for the gasket...

I had a similar problem. I found that the long small clear hose had a small pinhole in it. I think pinched it once putting on the tank. Got a new hose, and all is good.