08 YZ450F to Supermoto

Hey all,

Happy new year!!

I'm in the process of setting up my YZ-F for supermoto. I'm in search of more power (reliably and inexpensively). I had an 07, put a Dr.D pipe on it and it ripped. Put the exact same pipe on my 08 and am a little disappointed. What is the difference? I think I've read cams and ignition. Is this so?

If so, what cams do I want to purchase? 07? 06? Intake/exhaust? Do I need the coresponding ignition as well or just cams?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Hey all,

Happy new year!!

I'm in the process of setting up my YZ-F for supermoto. I'm in search of more power (reliably and inexpensively). I had an 07, put a Dr.D pipe on it and it ripped. Put the exact same pipe on my 08 and am a little disappointed. What is the difference? I think I've read cams and ignition. Is this so?

If so, what cams do I want to purchase? 07? 06? Intake/exhaust? Do I need the coresponding ignition as well or just cams?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

The 08 shorty exhaust and cams really "quieted" the bike down both decibal wise and power wise. Get both 06' cams for your bike and your power gains will return...the ignition is not needed:thumbsup:

In terms of actual power measured on a dyno, the '08 has one more at peak than the '07, which has one more than an '06. However, the '08 does fall short in the low/mid range. Most of that is the exhaust.

Some have suggested the use of the '06 exhaust cam to beef up low speed performance, but there's apt to be a penalty on top. I would think that for SM, the place you'd want to go after the pipe would be with a different ignition, like an MSD, or a Graves.

Call these guys.....

http://gravesport.com

They pretty much have the market cornered on YZF "supermoto" engine tweaks.