04 Wr450 Gearing Options

So, I have realized that my recently purchased bike has been regeared, with a 13/51 combo. It seems like this gearing will be perfect for the majority of my offroad riding, but, as the bike is plated, if I want to take a longer dual sport trip, this gearing will be a little low. I am thinking of buying a 15t countershaft sprocket, which will be slightly higher than stock, and should work well on longer trips with the 51t rear.

Would swapping the 13t, and 15t sprockets back and forth be an easy matter? It seems like the chain should accomodate either one, just a matter of a slight tension adjustment?

Thanks.

So, I have realized that my recently purchased bike has been regeared, with a 13/51 combo. It seems like this gearing will be perfect for the majority of my offroad riding, but, as the bike is plated, if I want to take a longer dual sport trip, this gearing will be a little low. I am thinking of buying a 15t countershaft sprocket, which will be slightly higher than stock, and should work well on longer trips with the 51t rear.

Would swapping the 13t, and 15t sprockets back and forth be an easy matter? It seems like the chain should accomodate either one, just a matter of a slight tension adjustment?

Thanks.

Hey DS, swapping the front sprocket is pretty easy...just remember to get the small plate that holds the shaft nut on....although I changed mine twice without replacing it. I ran a 15/50 setup and its great on the road but you really have to do some clutch work in the tight or hilly stuff. Don't know if the chain will fit with a 51 on back...have not tried that yet.

You will have to add one or more links, if you increase the size of the front or rear sprocket. Stock gearing for your bike is 14/50. I ran 14/52 on both my 2003 and 2004 and I had to add one link. This ratio worked very well for tight single track in the mountains of Baja and I could cruise at 55-60 MPH on the occasional pavement run. In retrospect, 14/51 probably would have been a more optimum gear ratio, if there was to be more than a very occasional trip on the highway. Remember, that there is approximately a 4:1 ratio between your front chain gear and your rear chain gear. So, changing one tooth on the front is nearly the same as changing four teeth on the rear (i.e., 50/14 = 3.57).

Thanks.

Its not too difficult to change the countershaft sprocket. However, I normally use an impact wrench to loosen that bolt. You will need a way to lockup the engine to break it loose, won't you? I don't know how you will quickly make the change.

My wr450 is dual sported and I run 13/48 and did not have to add links to the chain. Its a little lower than stock and it gives me a little more grunt for the technical stuff, but I still work the clutch a bit. When needed, I can cruise at 60-65mph down the road. But I am only connecting trails and not on any long dual sport rides.

You will have to add one or more links, if you increase the size of the front or rear sprocket. Stock gearing for your bike is 14/50. I ran 14/52 on both my 2003 and 2004 and I had to add one link. This ratio worked very well for tight single track in the mountains of Baja and I could cruise at 55-60 MPH on the occasional pavement run. In retrospect, 14/51 probably would have been a more optimum gear ratio, if there was to be more than a very occasional trip on the highway. Remember, that there is approximately a 4:1 ratio between your front chain gear and your rear chain gear. So, changing one tooth on the front is nearly the same as changing four teeth on the rear (i.e., 50/14 = 3.57).

Great info..this is what I did to my WR. Works well for singletrak. :doh:

Hey DS, swapping the front sprocket is pretty easy...just remember to get the small plate that holds the shaft nut on....although I changed mine twice without replacing it. I ran a 15/50 setup and its great on the road but you really have to do some clutch work in the tight or hilly stuff. Don't know if the chain will fit with a 51 on back...have not tried that yet.

I would like to get a 15 countershaft sprocket for open desert riding, but it sure looks like a super tight fit with case guard and chain guide at the front of the swingarm. Is going to a 15 dooable?:doh:

Iam running a 12/50 on my bike now, works well in the tight trails. Thinking about going to a 13 /52 as I want to replace the chain and sprockets. Is any modification required to the rear chain guide when going to a larger rear sprocket?

I am running a 13/52 on my 05 with the stock chain and it works great!