Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kevin372

help lacing 09 yz450 rear wheel

11 posts in this topic

I've been trying to lace my rear wheel after powdercoating the hub and rim but its not going very smoothly. the front wheel was very straightforward and had no problems. The spokes for the rear wheel are of two different lengths and whatever spoke pattern I try doesn't seem to be right. Can someone tell me which length spokes belong in each course on the hub? thanks in advance

no I jumped right in and tore it all down without taking any measurements, DOH! I've read through all the sites I could find and didn't find much info (or any) on building from scratch with spokes of varying lengths.

Wow.. Nice writeup KJ impressive... KJ's method wouldn't require a pre teardown measurement. You just center the rim on the hub mounted to the bike.

Wow.. Nice writeup KJ impressive... KJ's method wouldn't require a pre teardown measurement. You just center the rim on the hub mounted to the bike.

Right, it is best to measure the offset, but on these wheels it is centered and the offset is actually built into the hub. Plus it doesn't matter if your wheel is two millimieters one way or the other, though if you are going to be a little to one side, it is a little better to be farther away from your silencer to give yourself extra clearance.

Do motorcycle in general have this offset built into the hub?

Not all, but many do. A wheel is strongest if the rim is centered in the spokes.

If you want to completely understand spoked wheels and the building process, there isn't a better text written for the purpose than this that I know of:

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-3rd-Jobst-Brandt/dp/0960723668

The one thing that does not apply is the crossing of the inner spokes over the outers, as is done with bicycles to keep the trailing spokes taut under torque loads. It's unnecessary with motorcycles, and frankly, not even possible in many cases.