HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qwik12beat

Funny smell-its kinda scarin me

8 posts in this topic

I rejetted my bike, and repacked the silencer, and it runs real good, but i keep smelling this funny smell. I still have a small leak at the water pump seal that leaks till it warms up(yes im gnna fix it), and im wandering if there's anyway coolant could get into the combustion chamber because of this(yes it has a sweet smell to it:banghead: antifreeze?)I really dont want anyone to jump to conclusions.My main concern is im broke right now, and dont have the money to tear my engine apart right now. Any ideas?Please

Oil is clean, and antifreeze is green:smirk:

Could it be the silencer packing im smelling?

Very possibly. No smell before the repacking, smell after, makes sense.

No plastic stuff in with the packing, you used actual packing and not house insulation?

It's the packing no doubt.....I would keep an eye on the coolant level though...

Coolant has a distinct, unique smell when it gets on something hot. Sort of a sweet, peppery smell, very similar to the smell of Teflon pipe sealing compound.

Thats what made me worry so much. Ive popped a few headgaskets before, and the smell reminded me of burning coolant,but i rode my bike some more today, and the smell is diminishing. Ive been keeping an eye on the coolant. Thanks guys

Thats what made me worry so much. Ive popped a few headgaskets before, and the smell reminded me of burning coolant,but i rode my bike some more today, and the smell is diminishing. Ive been keeping an eye on the coolant. Thanks guys

It doesn't take much coolant in the combustion chamber to create white smoke out of the exhaust. If it was a head gasket, odds are there would be white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm gonna go with packing. See if the smell goes away after a couple rides.

Everytime I pack my muffler it stinks for the first couple rides. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, its kind of rare to hear about a YZF with a leaking head gasket.

1 person likes this