wr 400 rattling

hi i hope some one can help :smirk: i have a 1998 wr400f which is making a clanking noise from the left side of the engine. It is quite loud and erratic and not a constant rattle you can hear it when idling standing still and when you ride it. It starts just fine and pulls really well.

Does any one any ideas many thanks.........:thumbsup:

Check the valve clearance. Mine started doing the same thing this summer. Turned out the piston was hitting the valve. Cost me a new top end. Wiseco piston---tolerance to close!!!

Funny how both your YZ and WR have the same issue....

So which bike do you REALLY have - it could be helpful to us in diagnosing.....

Where on the left is the noise? Top, bottom, middle??

Funny how both your YZ and WR have the same issue....

So which bike do you REALLY have - it could be helpful to us in diagnosing.....

Where on the left is the noise? Top, bottom, middle??

i thought being more or less the same engine i would have better luck posting on both but it is a wr 400

And the noise is fo the left middle to bottom thanks

Take off the timing chain tensioner first - while you take it off, see if and how much it is pushing itself out as you loosen the screws - if it's not pushing itself out then there's a problem with the tensioner.

If it does push itself out, then the next step I would take is to remove the stator cover and look inside, could be a loose/fallen bolt (rear timing chain guide has a bolt behind flywheel.

Just wondering how many hours are on this machine and when was the last time the timing chain was replaced - could be that it's so stretched it's slapping around in there like crazy. Not a good thing.