WR450 too heavy?!?!?

You can take a WR and lay it down and then take a KTM 450 and lay it down and you would swear that the KTM is lighter when it really isn't. QUOTE]

This is exactly it having owned a road legal 525 EXC. The KTM may have a similar dry weight but feels 10kg lighter ....

I think the only option for my 2006 WR is to lower it an inch to drop the CofG a little.

275 wet - full of gas since some "wet weights" include all fluids but gas - for the 05WR450F.

Anyone know what the actual weight of a WR450 is, steel frame prefered? I'm guessing 280lbs +/- 2lbs, sure feels like a pig compared to what my '08 KX450 felt like...!
275 wet - full of gas since some "wet weights" include all fluids but gas - for the 05WR450F.

did you get that weight from a scale or from Yamaha?

Cause my bike feels glued to the ground when I want to put it on a stand

yes all 450s wiegh too much. nobody is going to argue if they weighed less.

I can't believe that anybody that can ride a full size dirt bike, has trouble picking a wr450 off the ground.

I think 450s are wicked fun. I love the 450 power on hill climbs. sure, on slow single track I have to man handle the bike, and the lighter 250s are more effortless. If lap times was more important then fun, I'd consider a 250.

I think the only option for my 2006 WR is to lower it an inch to drop the CofG a little.

This would help, but be smart about it.

I had my wr450 lowered 1.5 inches and it caused me all kinds of problems with the rear being too soft despite my clicker adjustments. So I had it raised back to stock height. I'd rather tip over than have it handle like it did. It wore me out much worse than if it was too stiff.

Back to the point, the center of gravity was noticeably lower and it felt a lot better at slow speeds.

I would try lowering it again, but next time I'd get a lowering link, buy a stiffer rear spring, bar risers, and just slide my forks up in the tubes to set the geometry back right.

I do agree the the 450 is a bit of a lump, but i wouldn't be without it. i love the power. So im going to keep this one and just rebuild it has and when needed.

maxpower, you need to get a membership to the gym :moon: or do like i did and buy a lift stand (worth its weight in Gold) :busted:

Actual scale, not a Yamaha claimed weight.

I can't believe that anybody that can ride a full size dirt bike, has trouble picking a wr450 off the ground.

I think 450s are wicked fun. I love the 450 power on hill climbs. sure, on slow single track I have to man handle the bike, and the lighter 250s are more effortless. If lap times was more important then fun, I'd consider a 250.

+1, the fourstroke weight has never bothered me, especially when you're on a wet slimy steep hill, those lighter bikes just want to spin, and spin.

Hey Demo_Slug, just cause you are heavier than your WR450, and can carry it on your shoulder, you cant forget about all us little girly men.

Weight isnt everything... my WR is heavier than all of my mountain bikes combined, but it is also a lot faster than any of them.

Sometimes I think my WR is heavy and sluggish,,, then I ride my buddy's CR500 2 stroke, and I start thinking the WR is WAY too heavy.... then i get back on the WR and I am riding it faster than I ever have before, and it feels perfect.... its a good bike.

my 07 450 weighs as much my old 96 klx 250 but waaaay more power and better handling

Are the new WRs getting any lighter over say a 400? Also does anyone have the actual weights of a new WR, CRF-X and KTM?