Bought my 06 WR450 today !!!

Hello to everyone. I used to come to ThumperTalk (TT) quite a bit when I was riding my 2002 YZ250F. Since then I moved to the street and now I'm back to the dirt.

I was forced to purchase the WR because my son just isn't/wasn't having much fun riding by himself on his TTR-50. He really twisted my arm to do something about the situation.....especially this time of year. lol

Little does he know that since he really doesn't fit his TTR, I'm going to go get him a used KTM Pro Senior 50 to chase me around with....or should I say, I'm going to go chase him. He's 8, and he thinks it's pretty cool to kickstart a bike. Although his TTR is electric start, we've been to the KTM dealership alot and he likes the kickstarter. ( I'm really not up to telling him the WR has the majic button along with the kickstarter)

The WR450 I picked up today is all stock. Tires too. Not a single mod on the thing. 200 miles....at least that's what the digital readout said. Not sure if the rear tire is stock..I dunno...maybe that was replaced. $3000. That's alot less than it was going to cost me to get another ZX6R. Looking forward to lots of riding with my son and friends.

Anyway, I look forward to hours and hours of reading about the WR...to go along with the 4 or 5 hours of reading I did last night on here. And yes, I did read the site rules and FAQ section. Who has "the best" pipe, which oil is "the best" and is the WR better than the rest of 'em (asked in the WR forum to get absolutely no biased answers). Now where do I go to get off road gear? I'm going to look kinda funny in full Teknic leathers and gauntlet gloves in the dirt....:thumbsup:

Congrats on the purchase. The TT store has off-road gear. And many like Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

FYI the digital odometer resets itself if the battery dies or is unhooked. It's like;y there are more miles on the bike. Do the mods and I myself recommend the YZ needles vs JD needles. That money is better spent on other thing. Just my opinion. I have the JD needles on a shelf for a reason.

damn i spent double that

Have fun, UNPLUG THE TPS.

yeah..forgot about RockyMountain.....

I know the streetbike parts/apparel sites by heart but I forgot the offroad websites.....

thanks

WHEN YOU ARE READY THE GREY WIRE AND THRODDLE STOP AND PEA SHOOTER MOD IS HUGE FOR THIS BIKE... IT PROBABLY ALREADY HAS BEEN DONE BUT CHECK ...:smirk: I RIDE ON THE STREET ON AN R 1 AND MY WR SET UP SUPERMOTO ...IN THE DIRT ON MY WR IS FUN BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DISCO LIGHTS ...:thumbsup: IF YOU STILL LIKE THE STREET SET IT UP WITH A SET OF SUPERMOTO WHEELS AND TIRES GET IT TAGGED AND YOU WILL WONDER WHY YOU EVER RODE A SPORT BIKE... AND IN 20 MIN YOU CAN GO PLAY IN THE DIRT AGAIN ..IF I HAD TO CUT TO ONE BIKE IT WOULD BE MY WR ...I THINK MY R1 JUST GAVE MY WR A DIRTY LOOK OOPS

4 GEAR WATCH CLOSEOUT YOU CAN GET SET UP CHEAP AND SUPERMOTO YOU CAN SITLL TO THE LEATHERS AND KILL YOU FRIEND ON THERE SPORT BIKES THROUGH THE TWISTYS I ALMOST LAUGHED AT MY FRIEND WHEN HE SAID HE WAS BUYING A SUPER MOTO 3 WEEKS LATER I BOUGHT MINE :thumbsup:

How do the engine cases and frame look? If alot of paint is worn off it will have more but if there is very little missing that bike could very well have only 200 miles. Wouldn't surprise me as I've seen alot of stock condition '05-'06 steelies around the local OHV parks putted around by older dudes and those bikes looked pristine.

Nice find though! Unleash da beast :thumbsup:

The free mods have not been done. The paint on the frame where your boots rub it off (like on my 2002 YZ250F did) is still there. The bike is seriously quiet. I'm the 3rd owner. The Yamaha dealership still had the Certificate of Origin as it was never titled. The first two owners just didn't ride the thing.

I'm going to ride it as is for now. To be honest, I wanted a WR250F not the 450. But I couldn't find a WR250. The 450's have always been a bit intimidating. Like on the street, I prefer my 600 over a literbike. I've rode the literbikes but without good throttle control, you WILL get into trouble in a hurry. The same applies to the 450 bikes so I'll just ride this without putting much money into getting more ponies out of her. It does have a god awful hesitation at low RPM's but I chalked that up to me not riding a dirtbike in awhile. If it proves troublesome, I'll work on it.....or post up here and complain all day that I didn't do the free mods that I was told to do !!! LOL.

Now for riding gear. I sold my Tech 8's with the 250F and now I'm so sorry I did that. Boots are the single most expensive piece of gear right now. I found some closeout Fox (Yamaha) gear that I'll get along with either some FOX F3 boots or Gaerne SG10 boots, both on closeout as they are a year (or more) old. A Vemar helmet too. My street helmet is a Vemar and I like it alot.

My son needs new gear too, so it's online shopping for him too.

Supermoto....umm...not sure about that. Althought it would be a blast to hurl the WR thru all the twisties we have here, I don't want the expense of buying SM wheels and then going back and forth with wheels and suspension settings. Not to mention that these motors aren't made to stay at those speeds all day long. I know a gearing change would help with engine RPM's but I'd like to keep the WR as reliable as possible. This bike will be paid for quickly, so another streetbike isn't too far away....

MY SUPER MOTO SET UP WAS ABOUT A G ..IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE TO RIDE ON AS A DEMO RIDE IT ....I DIDTNT THINK IT WOULD BE ANY FUN EITHER BUT WAS REALLY SURPRISED..THAT IS EASY TO ADD ON LATER ...THE SWAPING TAKES 20 MIN I DONT REALL MESS WITH THE SUSPENSION AND IT DOES FINE ......I WOULD LIKE TO ADD THE APRRILA 550 TO MY QUIVER BUT NOW ISNT THE TIME 4 ME 2 DO IT

IF YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT THE 250 FOR CONTROLE I UNDERSTAND COMPLEATLY... WHEN I FIRST GOT MY WR GOT IT HOME AND HAD TO BLAST IT UP AND DOWN THE DITCH AND PUT IT AWAY BEFORE :thumbsup: ...IT WAS JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE THAN MY FRIENDS 250 HONESTLY I WAS PISSED ...BUT WITH THE MODS ..IT WAS OK .....THEN THE CAMS AND PIPE AND ITIS ALMOST 2 MUCH IN THE DIRT... I GIVE PROPS TO THE GUYS THAT CAN HOLD ON TO THOSE THINGS WIDE OPEN i allways say its better to have options than obligations so you can work into it

I've done a ton of reading on here lately. A tremendous amount of helpful information here. Most of the threads I have read are really helpful and not many smartazz comment or remarks from trolls...etc.

I've read the FAQ and WR450 mod sections. Although I am going to ride it bone stock right now, I'm more than likely going to have to do the free mods and some other small things to the bike just to get it the way I want it.

After all the reading (information overload), some things aren't quite clear. First is uncorking the exhaust. The ProMotoBillet insert uncorks it, but it is ok to run the bike in the woods like that? Do I need the spark arrestor also? if so..then wouldn't putting a YZ450F muffler (I really want to call it a silencer) on it a better option, value wise? That is if I can get one. Ebay has several. The end result is to uncork the stock WR without having to purchase an aftermarket muffler.

The fuel mixture screw is a must for accessibility? The TT store has a few options for around $20 and GYTR (GYT-5TJ93-75-01)has one for around $40. same thing?

The grey wire mod and the AIS removal can be done alone without getting into the carb, correct? .....but uncorking the exhaust requires a carb rejet? I'm assuming this is where the JD Jet Kit comes into play?

Someone did a very good write up on the AIS removal process with the TT kit. I was going to go with the GYTR kit because it includes the throttle stop bolt but the TT Kit is more popular.

My son found the WR450 in the garage and now he wants to keep his TTR-50 so we both ride Yamaha's. I'm ok with it since his is paid for. I've been looking up GYTR parts for his 50 to get him a little more HP. That's one reason I know some of these GYTR part numbers..:-). Now I'll have to rejet his 50 since he's getting a GYTR exhaust, jet kit and filter...and I'll have to do the WR.

I do like the GYTR stuff (exhaust for the 50, jet kits, skid plates, filters, graphics) and if my Yamaha dealer can match prices with online places I may get quite a bit of stuff from them. The Yamaha dealer here is really friendly and real good people.

Someone said unplug the TPS? Dont unplug the TPS. If your bike is jetted right you don't need to touch it