Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jodanie

'03 450 oil leak

8 posts in this topic

It hasn't happened to me yet but, several friends have had this rubber plug, that is on the front,top of the motor pop out. Someone told me that there is a billet piece you can buy to replace the rubber. Does anyone know where to find this? Thanks

eBay is about the only place left. You can use an 18mm cup plug (freeze plug, core plug, whatever) as well. Available at auto parts stores.

Does anyone know exactly what Yamaha calls this plug? On ebay, what did you put in for your search?

On eBay search for YFZ450. Apparently the quad had more problems than the bike with blowing them out. (same plug)

Here is one. I've ordered from this store before and had a good buying experience. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YFZ450-K-K-Decompression-Plug-NEW-YFZ-450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ350127684265QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This happened to me on my 2004 yz250f. The Yamaha dealer here said it is called a "Decompression Plug" and they gave me a yfz450 plug as well.

Thanks found it, ordered it.

Your welcome.

Here is a tip for you that you should keep in mind while installing the plug.... The bolt that holds the plug in is very very very easy to strip. Use a little red loc-tite and just snug the bolt... it doesn't take much force to pull the threads out (don't ask me how I know this).

The second time I put my bolt in, I drilled a hole across the bolt head and safety wired it to the head, so if it did get a hair loose, it wouldn't back out.