Stock can or aftermarket

I just posted this to another thread before I found this one. Im sure someone will say not to double up but this thread is much more relevant.

I ordered an FMF TiPowerCore slip on when I purchased my bike. I rode the bike one time with the stock pipe uncorked from the dealer and it ripped. If I would have ridden the bike before ordering the pipe I would still be running the uncorked stock muffler. Since I have already spent the money and like the lighter weight, sound and look I am keeping it on.

I would recommend staying with the stock exhaust uncorked from the dealer. I got mine from Adventure Motorsports in Twin Falls, ID. They really have this bike figured out because mine ran stronger from the dealer than my buddies bike with aftermarket exhaust and jetting. The grey wire was done (which is not a hoax by the way) and so was his.

I will be happy to sell my uncorked stock exhaust if anyone does not want to cut their own. It was only ridden once before removed and never scratched or even muddy. The sound was great stock and I did not notice any raspy sound as mentioned above. My guess is that someone uncorked theirs incorrectly.

$100.00 OBO

Gene Korby

(208)721-1042

What is this "PMB insert" all about? Price... part # if any?

BTW,, I'm starting to rethink the Q4 when I can fix a stock pipe to do the same for less$

Also, no the bike is not fast enough for me coming off a CR500 in the dirt and a Vmax on the road. I like gobs of power.

What is this "PMB insert" all about? Price... part # if any?

PMB-01-5501-2.jpg

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/11/products_id/50

It's $60 and makes the bike louder. PMB makes one and so does GYTR. its a fun upgrade, I ran the GYTR insert for a while. My leovince X3 was a huge improvment over that.

I got a buddy that rides a CR500. he's riden my WR stock. he's riden it with the free mods with GYTR insert. He's riden it with the X3 slip on (he called the power usable and "could go real fast with it") . and 2 weeks ago he road it with the X3 with a Yz header. and that was the first time he got off the bike with an ear to ear grin and giggling :busted: .

Im selling my uncorked stock exhaust on ebay. check it out here.

!

dude. when you uncork a pipe. all that is envolved is drilling out a rivet. it takes 15 seconds. :smirk: the dealer doesn't do anything special. if you paid money to have it done, you got ripped.

the reason people use the PMB or GYTR insert is that the stock "uncorked" outlet pipe is about 3/8 of an inch diameter and the aftermarket insert is about 1 inch.

why not show a picture of the outlet of the pipe in your ad. :thinking:

It's $60 and makes the bike louder. PMB makes one and so does GYTR. its a fun upgrade, I ran the GYTR insert for a while. My leovince X3 was a huge improvment over that.
the reason people use the PMB or GYTR insert is that the stock "uncorked" outlet pipe is about 3/8 of an inch diameter and the aftermarket insert is about 1 inch.

I still believe these things do very little without drilling a hole in that second baffle inside the muffler! :smirk:

You're kidding yourself if you simply bolt one of these into your muffler and think the bike is now going a lot better. Sure it's louder, but the performance has changed very little from how it was prior to fitment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again......Look at the oriface sizes in each baffle and then the tailpipe. Do the math and you'll see what I mean. :thinking:

Greg

dude. when you uncork a pipe. all that is envolved is drilling out a rivet. it takes 15 seconds. the dealer doesn't do anything special. if you paid money to have it done, you got ripped.

why not show a picture of the outlet of the pipe in your ad.

most dealerships charge for installing the smog elimination kit, throttle stop and jet kit. This dealership however does all this when they uncrate the new bike so it sits on the floor that way and adjust the price accordingly. I did not pay extra for this but that would not be assumed as most dealers will charge for this.

As you mentioned the stock outlet even uncorked does not look much different so i didn't pay extra to include another picture of it. the majority of the work is inside the can and removing/opening up the inner baffle as mentioned by Greg above. A little more than 15 seconds work but not a major deal by any means. Thats why I included a link to this forum for someone to read about this and the different opinions pro and against before making a decision. i am surprised about your response and you must feel strongly about this subject. Maybe it is because you spent $60 on a different insert instead of $50 for a complete and like new can. happy riding.

the majority of the work is inside the can and removing/opening up the inner baffle as mentioned by Greg above. A little more than 15 seconds work but not a major deal by any means. .

the dealer does not open up the inner baffle. :smirk: they just take the cork out of the tip. some dealers might do it... but changes to the inner baffles is not normal or part of the AIS removal kit . just read your AIS removal instructions. they just take the cork out of the tip

In regards to wasting $60 on a tip. yes I did. :thinking: and then replaced the whole exhuast to get a real increase, because the stock exhuast is very restirctive and nothing you do to the tip is going to change that.

Had a dealer de-restricted stock exhaust with pea shooter removed (not sure what else has been done). Was really disappointed with the low down power and the bike lacked character.

Replaced stock exhaust with a White Bros Aluminium Pro exhaust. Much larger diameter header pipe and basically straight through. It is awesome... it's not even the same bike. Tried putting the stock exhaust back on a couple of times for road use (to keep the noise down) and it really is just crap. It's never going near the bike again. The bike in Oz costs around $12000 AUD. Given you are spending that kind of money, i wouldn't waste time in saving a few bucks on an exhaust which transforms the bike into how a real big bore thumper should behave. Insurance and rego are $1000 per year, so a few hundred dollars on a decent exhaust is money well spent.

Replaced stock exhaust with a White Bros Aluminium Pro exhaust.

A mate of mine has an identical bike to mine ('08 WR450F.)

He's got exactly that WB system on his bike.

Mine has a properly, I repeat ....properly modified stock system.

(YZ header, each baffle in the muffler drilled to ensure continual 43mm diameter flow from head to tailpipe, custom made 43mm ID tailpipe, end cone pressed out to take that 43mm pipe.)

It's a bit noisier than stock, cost me a total of $Aus200.

Now down to business: I rode mine and Andrew's back to back and there was pretty much no difference in seat-of -the-pants perfomance between the two. In fact I think my bike is slightly faster than his in a straight line drag race if anything!

The only advantage the White Bros system (or most other aftermarket systems) has over a properly modified stocker is weight. the White Bros system is lighter.

I've measured most of them:

Comparing the '08 YZ450F system to the '08 WR450F one:

Weight of WR muffler: 3380 grams

Weight of YZ (shorty) muffler: 2450 grams

Weight of White Bros WR muffler: 2900 grams

Weight of WR header: 668 grams

Weight of YZ header: 562 grams

No White Bros header available to weigh.

OD of WR header: 39mm

OD of YZ header: 43-46mm

Greg

A mate of mine has an identical bike to mine ('08 WR450F.)

He's got exactly that WB system on his bike.

Mine has a properly, I repeat ....properly modified stock system.

(YZ header, each baffle in the muffler drilled to ensure continual 43mm diameter flow from head to tailpipe, custom made 43mm ID tailpipe, end cone pressed out to take that 43mm pipe.)

It's a bit noisier than stock, cost me a total of $Aus200.

Now down to business: I rode mine and Andrew's back to back and there was pretty much no difference in seat-of -the-pants perfomance between the two. In fact I think my bike is slightly faster than his in a straight line drag race if anything!

The only advantage the White Bros system (or most other aftermarket systems) has over a properly modified stocker is weight. the White Bros system is lighter.

I've measured most of them:

Comparing the '08 YZ450F system to the '08 WR450F one:

Weight of WR muffler: 3380 grams

Weight of YZ (shorty) muffler: 2450 grams

Weight of White Bros WR muffler: 2900 grams

Weight of WR header: 668 grams

Weight of YZ header: 562 grams

No White Bros header available to weigh.

OD of WR header: 39mm

OD of YZ header: 43-46mm

Greg

Thanks for taking time to get the weights :thinking:

I never bothered but guesstimated the 08 yz system I replaced my stock system with was 2.5lbs lighter.

Turns out to be 2.33lbs lighter. I was close :smirk: