WR450 or VOR450EN

thanks newriver and Math... As my riding buddy says, you are guilty of "over-analysis". He is right! But if you think I'm bad, you should meet the people I work with... I actually got to ride a WR450F around a parking lot today, at the dealer... It is a very nice bike :D The low-end reminds me of my XR650, which is what I am looking for, without the weight.. I think it will be an excellent woods bike. The pipe quiets the bike so much that you hear alot of engine noise, clanking stuff, never heard anything like it before. I imagine you would get used to it. Hopefully you can modify the exhaust and not have to buy a new pipe right off... It handled excellent, around a parking lot.... MATH, the VOR is what I would call a softer bike than the WR. You could probably ride it longer before tiring. It doesn't have as much low-end torque. Would be a good all-day cruiser... I think the WR is faster... I have money down on a WR450 for February delivery... My only regret is that I will have to come to the Yamaha TT Thread for information. There as some mean people in here, and as you noticed, my post get lots of attention.... :)

If you think it had alot of low end riding in the parking lot wait until you do the free mods. The overall power increase is pretty amazing. Just about any where you go you can find a Yamaha dealer. Much better decision IMO.

Thanks for this update neWRiver, I like your attitude :D.

I totally respect your decision even if my humble opinion is that there was aggressiveness in some of the posts and I dislike it. But you already heard my opinion so no come back is needed :)

I admit that I exagerated for the number of useful replies that were sent to alabama (there is more than 10 over there) and I know that opposed point of view will be debated here.

Maybe I'll just stay out of this kind of discussions... I'm nothing like a gold member so I'm still learning how this forum works out and which kind of discussions are tolerated and which are not...

Thanks for your post anyway :D

Hello Alabama,

Sorry but I'm not sharing your opinion. Nobody has been mean to me yet even if they could have: my english is rather weak.

You should have seen this post where I was asking which state was the abb "TBA" for? What a laugh!

In fact, I have a lot of fun to post here, I started to find new friends that I will someday meet (I hope), got a lot of infos and I hope it will stay like that for a long time.

Anyway, thanks for the infos on the VOR. I appreciate. I like bikes that make motorcycle become a tough sport so I'll stay with YAM.

Wally and Beaver I am so glad you two met. :):D

Are you saying you rode a KTM and did not like the suspension, or you were afraid to buy one because you were not sure you would like the KTM suspension? That is my delima right know, I know the WR suspension is for me, but I'm not sure the KTM will be. If KTM suspension was as good I would get one. Although, I would put Blue plastic on it, if I can find it.

I believe you will go faster on the Yamaha suspension. I really like the KTM. They are very cool bikes. But performance first and the Yamaha has that IMHO. I do not want to sacrifice performance for cool points. I just picked up my WR 450 today and it is amazing! It feels lighter than it is. They got the wieght low. It just has that feel. I rode it around the parking lot and felt I mad the right choice. Yamaha or KTM both great choices. I dig the VOR but they are kooky and dealer support just is not there IMHO. I think yoiu summed up my descision, I was unsure if I would like the KTM suspension. I already know I like the Yamaha---Mike

I will be watching Yamaha from now own because they are improving and will be a serious threat in another year or so.

Dwight,I can't help but laugh when this is coming from somebody that says how great XRs are.

KTM or Yamaha, I would chose the bike by the dealer and the Yamaha dealer you have chose sounds like a bad one. I ride Yamaha's cause the Yamaha dealer (Vickery Motorsports) has been so good to me. The local KTM dealer I have reservations about. So even though I would love to try a KTM, I will be riding blue for awhile.

Endurodog has a great point... I think that all these bikes are so comparable to each other (yes, some have slightly better suspensions, engines, looks, etc), but the kicker for me is your dealer support. I bought used from a private party but am very happy I went with Yami, based on Vickery's service as well. Honda and KTM are also both great choices of bikes, but I think their dealers here are a little sketchy (just my opinion). If I were Alabama, I'd think real hard whether I wanted to continue to support the dealer that screwed me and trust my bike to his/her care in the future...

If not, I'd make sure that dealer knows they lost a sale now, as well as others in the future, along with all the maintenance and upgrades.

thanks guys, well here it is. This official woods-riding shootout is sure to not be published in any trade magazines. It has been compiled by one C riding Engineer, after riding both bikes and speaking to numerous riders.

<ul type="square"> Ride: ........... VOR 450EN: .... Yamaha WR450:

Low-end power ... 7 ........ 10

Handling .............. 9 ........ 10

Suspension .........10 ......... 8

Reliability ............10 ............ 8

Quality of workmanship..10 ... 8

Availability of parts.........9 .....10

Dealer support:.............10 ......8

Note dealer support depends on your area. I have a very strong VOR dealer in my area whom I ride with. As you can see it is close. The Yamaha "blue-bloods" who criticize VOR don't know much about bikes. The VOR won the 6 day ISDE the last 3 years. It is the most reliable bike made! The Paoli forks are the best in the business. If you want low maintenance and low cost of ownership, go with the VOR. If you want to win your class in a 3 hour Enduro, you should be better off on the Yamaha. It is quicker, handles the tight stuff, and has more power. I like the Yamaha because it most reminds me of my XR650 but is 60lbs lighter, which fits my riding style... :) Now all I have to do is wait on delivery, and stayed tuned to TT..

Thanks for the great post Bami! I bet a lot of deep thought went into it.

I was going to get the Yamaha but I'm going to get a VOR instead.

Thanks for showing me the true path to happiness.

Bamy since I don't "know bikes" thanks for clearing things up for me. :) Now tell the truth you are really Rod Serling and we are all trapped in a Twighlight Zone thread from Hell?

There is no way you are for real mate.... :D

Lighten up, guys. :)

Let's keep the discussion on topic. If you do have some knowledge or experience that is relevant to the comparison of these two bikes, then speak up. The bike bashing stuff gets pretty old after awhile and TT member bashing will not be tolerated here. If you have a counterpoint to share in this discussion then please give it to us with both barrels. There's no need to be petty or personal about it.

:D

since we are on the 2nd page of this thread, I have copied the post here:

"This official woods-riding shootout is sure to not be published in any trade magazines. It has been compiled by one C riding Engineer, after riding both bikes and speaking to numerous riders.

Ride: ........... VOR 450EN: .... Yamaha WR450:

Low-end power ... 7 ........ 10

Handling .............. 9 ........ 10

Suspension .........10 ......... 8

Reliability ............10 ............ 8

Quality of workmanship..10 ... 8

Availability of parts.........9 .....10

Dealer support:.............10 ......8

Note dealer support depends on your area. I have a very strong VOR dealer in my area whom I ride with. As you can see it is close. The Yamaha "blue-bloods" who criticize VOR don't know much about bikes. The VOR won the 6 day ISDE the last 3 years! It is the most reliable bike made! The Paoli forks are the best in the business. If you want low maintenance and low cost of ownership, go with the VOR. If you want to win your class in a 3 hour Enduro, you should be better off on the Yamaha. It is quicker, handles the tight stuff, and has more power. I like the Yamaha because it most reminds me of my XR650 but is 60lbs lighter, which fits my riding style... Now all I have to do is wait on delivery"...... I am sure I will be criticized for rating VOR so high , by the "blue-bloods" who pray to Mother Yamaha each night before bed. Face it guys, VOR makes a great product.... :) I don't know why blue-bloods find that a threat to mother Yamaha and resort to personal attacks... :D

I have no doubt that the VOR is a decent bike. However, most of us live a real world and ride our bikes without the dealer on every trail ride and god forbid, in different states than where we live. Therefore, since we don't lead sheltered lives, it's important to us to have parts and service available in many areas instead of only one, like you.

Your chart is very biased towards your own personal situation and can't be taken serious since the sample data is minimal. Riding around a parking lot might be enough for "one C riding Engineer" but for most people this is a fairly humorous way to test an off road motorcycle.

Winning the 6 days is not the best way to determine what bike you are going to purchase. Competitions like this are broken down into several areas, factory support, rider skill, preparation and maintenance of the equipment, etc. You are kidding yourself if you don't think that same rider couldn't turn in the same performance on a different brand.

I have a WR426 and I'm happy with the bike. It was a hard decision for me to buy it because of bad past experiences with Yamaha's. So far, I'm very happy with the bike but a year ago, if Honda had the same bike, I would have bought that instead. I like Honda's the best but I got the bike that I wanted because of what it did for me. What it comes down to is rider preference and many people get bent when you cut down their favorite brand.

Bottom line is, go buy what you want and be happy with it. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if you made someone on this site's day because you bought their brand. This is a toy to make your life more enjoyable, not ours.

One final note. Since getting on this site, I've realized that the guys in this forum can pretty much help you fix, modify and maintain your bike better than any dealer. The time and effort they are willing to put into helping other people keep riding is phenomenal. To me, that's worth a lot.

Well said vmax. :)

I think in some point in our lives everyone should have the frustration of trying to get parts for an umdersupported product. By all means get the VOR and enjoy it.

How can this even be a question?

there is not way the vor forks are the "best in the bus" every mag that has shoots out with vors rips them apart. the vor is a good bike bit there is no way it would be better than a wr450. think about how much money yamaha has to make that bike. think about vor and how little money they have. yamaha has put the product development cost into the bike from the ground up. there is no way in hell that vor could match that.

parx

Uh...I'm a little confused. After all the techno schmekno earlier in this thread I was getting excited about this highly objective scientifically conducted shootout. This just looks like a biased subjective opinion to me. And after all that fussing. Hmmm...I don't think I'm smart enough to read any more of your threads. I better pass the next time. :)

Don't be confused, none of us have any scientific data.

We just make it up as we go along.

You are welcome to do the same.

I can usally tell how good a bike is by the amount of modifications the owners make. The more mods the sh$ttier the bike. I have data to back all this up.