Questions about Scott's stabilizer?

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Scott's stabilizer sometime soon and have a few questions. 1) I remember reading that the mounting hardware was different for 07, 08, and 09? Which hardware is the best and why? 2) I am 6'00" and already have the Windham bend Pro Tapers on my 07 YZ; will going with the SUB mount kit raise the bars too high? Also, for those with the SUB mount kit, is there any additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher? I'm just looking for pros and cons of the normal and SUB setup.

Thanks,

Nate

1) The '06 frame mounting hardware is what I have, and it works alright; no problems when mounted correctly. It has a tang extending from the back of the pin bracket that bolts under the front tank mount, then clamps to the steering head. The '07 uses this same system, but the '08 cannot because there is no way to make the clamp stay clamped. So the '08 mount has the same tank tang, but is held down on the frame using a small bearing and a modified head bearing ring nut. It's a very slick setup, and I don't know why you could not use it on an '06 or '07. Then again, it simply may not fit right because of the tang offset and the differences in the early/late frames. See the pictures here:

SDM08bottom.jpg

SDM08nut.jpg

SDM08top.jpg

2) The sub mount raises the bars about an inch (25mm), so I would guess that would make the Windham bend too high for you. You could use the original bars and have them come out at about the same height, but I recommend that you ask Scotts to move the bar position forward from stock by 10-15mm, as this is one of the things you like about the Windhams, possibly without realizing it.

As far as flex, I doubt you'll see any, since the mount is pretty robust, and bolts up solidly.

BTW, I use the standard mount on mine and I have no problems with that.

I've got the lower mount (above the front fender) and it works great. Putting under the bars is more work and changes the bar height, as Gray notes above. Some of the sub mounts do have flex, depending on the model of bike, but with the new design shown above I doubt it would be an issue.

I have an 07 with the sub mount unit on 24mm Applied triple clamps. I am running the stock bars and am 6'00". There is no flex and it feels solid. It does raise the bars about 7/8" higher which I am comfortable with or the equivalent of about 10mm higher than the Windham bend. If I was to do it over again then I might go with the standard top mount which provides more flexibility with handlebar slection.

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a Scott's stabilizer sometime soon and have a few questions. 1) I remember reading that the mounting hardware was different for 07, 08, and 09? Which hardware is the best and why? 2) I am 6'00" and already have the Windham bend Pro Tapers on my 07 YZ; will going with the SUB mount kit raise the bars too high? Also, for those with the SUB mount kit, is there any additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher? I'm just looking for pros and cons of the normal and SUB setup.

Thanks,

Nate

1. I have an 08 YZ450, first I installed the bolt on kit above the bar and it was good, but a month ago I installed the new sub mount kit (the one that gray posted above), and the bike feels way better, the handling improved a lot and I'm only 5'10", you'll be fine at 6'. By the way I use the Reed bend, but then again you're 2 inches higher.

So for me there's absolutely no additional flex or loose feeling with the bars being mounted higher.

Somehow I feel safer knowing that the pad is protecting me a bit from a direct hit.

Hope this helps