HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DesertRacer2

Saying Good Bye to Yamaha

11 posts in this topic

After two years of problems with my 07 YZ450, I have decided to sell it and go back to Honda. I picked up a 2006 CRF450 last night with only 35 hours on it.

I cannot believe I had a complete transmission failure with only 20 hours of easy riding. I have done nothing but maintain this bike and have had nothing but problems.

I know Yamaha makes a good product, my dad and brother have had great luck. I just believe that I purchased a lemon and after Yamaha refused to help me out, I have decided to go back to Honda.

I want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past on this forum.

do you have more details about the transmission failure?

did something from the top end ( valves,etc ) fail and drop a bit of metal into the bottom end? Just curious. While I'm usually pretty pessimistic about 4 stroke reliability in general, my disdain mainly focuses around all the valve BS. This is the first I've heard of transmission problems. I do know transmission parts have to be "beefier" in a 4 stroke to deal with the "harder, but less frequent" power pulse shock on them.

i have 2 friends who bought 08 crf450s, same dealership a month apart. The serial numbers are 1 number apart. One friend's bike has been wonderful, having about 40 hours on it. the other friends, with 15 hours on it has had to have his transmission rebuilt twice and 5th gear dropped again so now hes just ridin it with 4 gears. note: THESE BIKES ARE 1 NUMBER APART. but anyways, i guess what im sayin is Honda told my friend with the bad luck that they couldnt do anything and that it was up to him to fix it.

oh and he's a slow 40+ rider...

all in all, its kind of shitty if ya ask me

I'm sure if ya look far enough you will find riders of every color of bike who have got a bad bike one number apart or not. I find it will have more to do with the dealer than the manufacturer. The dealer can make alot of things happen in most cases if they sell it to the manufacturer the right way. Best thing to do is treat your dealer right and try to be loyal through some BS. They are more likely to help out a regular customer rather than the guy who only shows up once a year complaining about something. But I have been wrong before.

I dont blame you for your decision. I had bad luck with Honda. And will never own a CRF again. Intake valves were a problem.

I have two 06 YZ450s, one is mine and the other is my sons. Both bikes have been great.

The time I had the Honda, I had nothing but problems. But friends of mine had nothing but good luck. So I guess maybe its luck. I dont know. But I wont be leaving Yamaha anytime soon.

I'm sure if ya look far enough you will find riders of every color of bike who have got a bad bike one number apart or not. I find it will have more to do with the dealer than the manufacturer. The dealer can make alot of things happen in most cases if they sell it to the manufacturer the right way. Best thing to do is treat your dealer right and try to be loyal through some BS. They are more likely to help out a regular customer rather than the guy who only shows up once a year complaining about something. But I have been wrong before.

so much in how you treat your dealership effects what gets done. i know at mine it makes a world of difference. it kind of surprises me that yamaha gave no help in the posters case, we have yamaha reps in my shop more than the suzuki , polaris, cat and parts unlimited combined. the reason im switching to a yamaha is the support we get from them.

i have 2 friends who bought 08 crf450s, same dealership a month apart. The serial numbers are 1 number apart. One friend's bike has been wonderful, having about 40 hours on it. the other friends, with 15 hours on it has had to have his transmission rebuilt twice and 5th gear dropped again so now hes just ridin it with 4 gears. note: THESE BIKES ARE 1 NUMBER APART. but anyways, i guess what im sayin is Honda told my friend with the bad luck that they couldnt do anything and that it was up to him to fix it.

oh and he's a slow 40+ rider...

all in all, its kind of shitty if ya ask me

They don't have lemon laws there?....:thumbsup:

I really like my current Yamaha stable (05 YZ 250 and 08 YZ450F), but I don't necessarily consider myself a Yamaha guy. I owned an 03 CRF450 and I absolutely loved that bike with one huge exception . . . it ate valves like they were brake pads. That CRF handled like a dream, felt light as hell, had gobs of power, was super easy to work on. When it was running well, It was my all time favorite bike, hands down. As much as I liked that bike, I refused to keep it knowing every year I'd need to shell out $500+ and a month or more of downtime because of the crappy valve train. It even ate through a set of the Kibblewhite SS valves and HD springs in a single season of trail riding; not enduros or hairscrambles . . . trail riding :thumbsup: In addition to the money and downtime, it required constant maintenance with valve clearance checks and subsequent adjustments. It used to give me an anxiety attack when it was time to check the valve clearances.

The CRF experience left a bad taste in my mouth and I then bought a KTM 450. The KTM was dead reliable, but just lacked that "fun factor". My YZ 250 2T has been my primary ride for the past three seasons, because of the ease of maintenance and reliability. The YZ 2T is a woods weapon, but can't hang with the big 4Ts on the track. So after a spring full of research, I bought my 08 YZ450F in July. I don't have a ton of hours on it yet, but I bought this bike because the Yamaha 5 valve system seems to be much more reliable in terms of valve train reliability.

I guess the point of my rant is that everybody has different experiences (good and bad) when buying different bikes. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your Yamaha, however I can't blame you for wanting to switch because I was in the same boat with my Honda several years back. I wish the dealers and manufacturers would understand how fickle of consumers we can be based on our experience. If they'd only step up to the plate and help us with some of these issues, they'd gain buyer loyalty that would pay dividends for them for many many years forward.