HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qwik12beat

Looking for creative ideas to shave weight

30 posts in this topic

Ive been trying to lower the center of gravity of my bike, and lower the overall weight of it. I have already decided to swap out my fmf system for the dr.d system w/ the radiator lowering kit. I had thought about drilling a few holes in the headstay, but im not real sure how strong it is to begin with, and how much force it actually see's. I also want to put some foam in my gastank to keep sloshing to a minimum.

I can throw the bike around fine now, but im going to start racing enduro, and every little bit of weight i can lose or move lower will surely help.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I've always found it easier to shave weight off the rider instead of the bike.

i was taking my bike apart today (you know why)....i was just taking the back half apart. the thing i found that weighed the most was the air box/boot/airfilter set up. i would reccomind taking it all off gutting it all out and just running like a K & N with a pre filter or something. you have to take the whole sub frame off to get it out. and you could probably put the sides back on (you may have to do some chop cut rebuild) so it looks stock and still has the mud flap. just an idea caus i knowtised it weighed a lot! i think the part that weighed the most was the big filter boot!

Try the radiator lowering kit and get some tank foam. Get all CF protection if you have or want it. Also try cutting the sub frame to lower it a bit. This all will make your bike "feel" loads lighter. By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I've always found it easier to shave weight off the rider instead of the bike.

I know what you mean. Im currently 221lbs, and i am cutting weight now. I will be down to 190-200 come race time.

Try the radiator lowering kit and get some tank foam. Get all CF protection if you have or want it. Also try cutting the sub frame to lower it a bit. This all will make your bike "feel" loads lighter. By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?

I think it is slightly heavier, but i figured the ability to lower the radiators with the dr.d system would be more beneficial. What do you think?

Radiators, full of coolant, really do not weight that much. But... every little bit does count and improvements are cumulative.

Removing the airbox and airboot is not a good idea. An air filter stuck on the carb has a lot of turbulence in it (something the airboot tends to smooth out) and this turbulence can cause jetting issues as the slow and main airjets are right in the bellmouth of the carb.

A billet triple a alloy bars might save weight. Ti fasteners on all bolts will save a bit. Ti exhaust will save a lot.

For the exhaust you should go with a ti system, if you want to lower the radiators then get the Dr. D ti system or an FMF factory forward powerbomb like I have. Here are some of the tiny details to save weight that I have done. In reality they add up to almost nothing.

Lots of Carbon fiber with full titanium exhaust:

DSCF0571.jpg

Drilled holes in the shoulder of the axle (actually saved over an ounce):

2007_09180006.jpg

Drilled holes in axle blocks:

DSCF0740.jpg

Drilled holes in all washers:

2007_09170009.jpg

50014.jpg

After all of that work you will save no more than a couple ounces, it will never be noticeable, but it will look trick. The easiest way to save weight is to only fill your gas tank with as much gas as you will need (well, a little extra). Don't fill it to the top for a 7 lap race.

Definetely looks super trick. I like it. Thanks for the idea:thumbsup: Is that a carbon gastank or a decal?Looks nice. How strong are the carbon clutch covers. Mine will need to be able to take a beating:smirk:

Also, don`t use decals or graphics. You could sand some plastics thinner to save weight and use thin inner tubes. :thumbsup:

By the way, isnt the DRD systme heavier than the FMF system?
Yes and no. The stainless system is, the Ti or Ti/Carbons aren't.

The stainless setup weighs the same as the stock '06-'07 pipe, but the header is heavier, and the can is lighter, so it lowers and centralizes the same amount of weight.

One of the biggest areas to save weight but make it feel way lighter is in the wheels, tires, and unsuspended weight. Rotational mass can add up even if the actual weight doesn't seem that heavy. Run lighter tubes/tires or a tubeless kit (ie: Tubliss from Nuetech) that keeps the rotational mass closer to the rim. You will notice a difference.

Go with nuetec tubless tire setup

That will save a ton over anything else

This i think should be the number one weight saver.

I think like 4 pounsa on front and 4 on back.

Cool thing is it makes rotating mass easer to stop the bike and easer to get rolling again.

8 pounds NO WAY!!!!!! does anyone have the real fig. on that one

Agreed maybe more like 4 ounces. . . .if that:thumbsup: