Making a 450 run like a Honda

08 CRF 450 rider here but used to ride Yamaha's and prefer their handling and suspension over all bikes.

Thinking about grabbing a smoking deal on a leftover 08 Yamaha, I know the suspension on the Yammy is awesome stock but what do I need to do to make it comparable motor wise to the Honda ie. better low end hit.

08 CRF 450 rider here but used to ride Yamaha's and prefer their handling and suspension over all bikes.

Thinking about grabbing a smoking deal on a leftover 08 Yamaha, I know the suspension on the Yammy is awesome stock but what do I need to do to make it comparable motor wise to the Honda ie. better low end hit.

I think that for an 08 just adding a different exhaust will make it just as good if not better. Right after I bought my 08 I added a Dr.D exhaust, raced a honda on some hillclimb and totally left him eating my roost. The yz really puts down some serious power, it's just deceiving in its delivery.

I think that for an 08 just adding a different exhaust will make it just as good if not better. Right after I bought my 08 I added a Dr.D exhaust, raced a honda on some hillclimb and totally left him eating my roost. The yz really puts down some serious power, it's just deceiving in its delivery.

According to the dyno, it is down about 5 horses to the Kawi/Hon at low-mid

And according to a sheet I saw, a DRD Stainless system is good for 6+ at 5000 grand, with no loss on top. That funny little dip in the curve comes right out and goes convex in a big way.

? what he said above.

That dyno "sheet" is run with the stock exhaust, so adding a different exhaust solves that little "problem".

I will buy a DR.D with the money I save on suspension and call it good ?

What are the stock springs rated for? I am 6'3 200 pds and ride Vet Int-Exp moto.

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream. I set the sag at 98mm's, forks at 8mm and rode it, he told me to put the sag at 105 and I tried it , but like 98 better.

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream.

can't compare the exhaust from an 06 to the 08 exhaust. If it were an 06 then he could just forget the exhaust, but we're talking about an 08 here.

I would get the suspension done and forget the pipe. I just had Chad at Total Control do my 06's suspension and its a dream. I set the sag at 98mm's, forks at 8mm and rode it, he told me to put the sag at 105 and I tried it , but like 98 better.

Chad done my Honda and believe me the Yamaha stock is much better.

And according to a sheet I saw, a DRD Stainless system is good for 6+ at 5000 grand, with no loss on top. That funny little dip in the curve comes right out and goes convex in a big way.

Just boughy my '08 450, it came with an FMF full titanium powerbomb (with that "buldge in the header pipe) system including FMF Ti muffler. Never rode it with stock pipe. It has a great powerband but is my pipe comparable to the Dr D in power?

Great performance gains with the dr.d complete system... I have one on my 08 yz450.

Small design glitch, just a heads up. The header runs right in front of the top screw cover that holds your oil filter. Each time you replace your oil filter you have to loosen up the header pipe and push it up a bit. Just an fyi... at least on mine.

How does the Dr.D compare to the stock '06 exhaust? I know you've run both on your '08.

The Dr.D gives it an extra boost over the 06 exhaust, but nothing too dramatic vs. the 06 exhaust though. The only reason I bought the Dr.D was because the stock 08 unit is SO plugged up from bottom to mid, and the 06 exhaust belonged to the WR. If that weren't the case, I would not have spent the $500 for it. It's an improvement over the 06, but not a $500 improvement, at least not in my opinion. That's why I'm keeping the stock 06 system on the WR. I'd rather install an 06 yz cam on the WR to get a significant boost that would be a good bang for the buck.