HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motoxpsych

100 Hour Big Bore Rebuild Questions

8 posts in this topic

I have an 06 450 with 100 hours on it. I have decided to keep it and rebuild it to last at least another 100 hours. I am not the greatest mechanic but havea friend who is very proficient and will help me do the rebuild. I'm thinking about going with the Athena 480 kit. My questions are what else besides the kit (cam chain etc.) should I consider replacing. Also, I have also considered just going with a high compression piston and not doing the athena 480 mods. Just for the record, I want more low-end and would sacrifice a little top end to get it. Any advice??

Thanks for the fast response and the additional link. I am also going to change out my chain and sprockets. I did have 13/50 gearing.Would the big bore athena do better with stock 06 13/49 gearing?

Possibly the vlaves and springs depending on clearance wear. If you do valves get steel valves for longevity (not that Yamaha is know for that issue) and possibly a set of HotCams stage 1 for more over all power.

Thanks for the fast response and the additional link. I am also going to change out my chain and sprockets. I did have 13/50 gearing.Would the big bore athena do better with stock 06 13/49 gearing?
The big bore will work better with stock or higher gearing.

contact Travis D37 on this site. he owns Thumper Racing and is very experienced and knowledgeable at engine building. he built me a KTM (yes, I know, its not a YZF) 470 motor with some other mods and bike hauled the mail - controllably. I always got great starts with that bike and I made allot of ground when racing the uphill's at Glen Helen.

contact Travis D37 on this site. he owns Thumper Racing and is very experienced and knowledgeable at engine building. he built me a KTM (yes, I know, its not a YZF) 470 motor with some other mods and bike hauled the mail - controllably. I always got great starts with that bike and I made allot of ground when racing the uphill's at Glen Helen.

Thanks for the info.