Front axle removal yz426

I have a few questions about removing the front axle on my 2000 yz426 that I didn't find searching the site. I've removed the axle nut and the pinch bolts on both sides and inserted screw drivers to try and pry them open a bit but can't get the axle to move. My main question is what direction to move the axle? Do I hammer the left side, where the axle nut goes? Seems like that's the way it'd want to go but giving it a few good whacks with a dead blow hammer only moves it slightly. Also, what is the hex shaped hole on the other side for? To keep the axle from spinning while tightening the nut? Would an allen wrench or socket that size be helpful in removing the axle? Maybe use it to twist the axle and break it loose? One final question. There are threads on the INSIDE of the axle on the end where the nut goes, if you look close in the picture you should be able to see them. These make me think...puller??? Any idea what those are for?

Thank you!

Left side

PC070001.jpg

Right side

PC070002.jpg

I'm not sure about the threads inside, but in the past I just slip the nut back on flush with the end of the threads and give it a few taps and it usually just slides out after. If this doesn't work I make sure to hose it down with some good penetrating oil. I noticed there is some dirt in there so maybe also some rust, try the penetrant method and let us know.

• Like 1

Well I now have the axle moving nicely in the forks but it wont move in the hub, leading me to believe the bearings might be rusted to the axle. My next move will be to loosen the tripple clamps around the fork tubes and see if I can slide the forks down and out of the clamps and then pull them off the axle. Then I should, I hope, be able to put blocks under the hub and pound the axle through the hub. Am I missing anything? Does anyone else have a better idea?

It may not be rusty inside, it may be dried up old bearing grease. Try hosing it down with WD-40 or another penetrant to loosen the gunk up, and gently tap the axle through the bearings. You may need to lightly pry open the dust seals to allow the penetrant oil to get inside and to the bearings. I strongly suggest that you replace the bearings after you get everything apart. Oh, and put the nut back on the end of the bolt before you try to drive it out so that you don't smush up the threads. Once you get it moving you should be able to remove the nut and tap it the rest of the way out. You can also thread a 8X1.25mm bolt into the end of the axle and beat on that to save the threads on the axle.

• Like 1

pscook, thanks, I can only hope. I thought I'd have time to work on it this week but so far that's not working out. This started as an attempt to pull the brake rotor to see if I could straighten it (anyone else try this?) and then I found out that it can be done on the bike using an adjustable wrench. 1/2 of me wants to just button it up, straighten the rotor and ride but the 1/2 that knows better is pushing for a full bearing inspection, including rear wheel and swing arm. I'll post the final dianosis once I get in there.

You are just going to have to muscle it out of there. Probably just corroded to the bearings so you could try soaking it down with some PB Blaster but it is hard to get the pentrating oil to go where you need. This is why axles need to have a coating of grease on them.

If it were me, I would just brace the right fork leg and start whaling on the axle with a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer.

Once you have it out you will need to replace the bearings.

• Like 1

Well I now have the axle moving nicely in the forks but it wont move in the hub, leading me to believe the bearings might be rusted to the axle. My next move will be to loosen the tripple clamps around the fork tubes and see if I can slide the forks down and out of the clamps and then pull them off the axle. Then I should, I hope, be able to put blocks under the hub and pound the axle through the hub. Am I missing anything? Does anyone else have a better idea?
This sounds like the best approach to me. ?
  • Like 1

Well, I took the pay me later road. I put it all back together and straightened the brake rotor with a cresent wrench. I should have some extra money come late winter or early spring and I'm going to do the steering bearings, they need it, the axles and swing arm IF they need it.

Thanks to all who replied!

This thread is now ready for deletion...unless you like the pics.

If your going to be hammering on it use a block of wood or rubber mallet to keep from messing up the threads. You could try degreaser also to help get it out but it seems like it is more than likely rust from the troulble your having.