do aftermarket pipes really help

Pipes have a two fold advantage. #1 it is one of the most cost effective ways to lighten the bike and yes it does increase power.

I run the White Bros E-Series silencer and the tapered header. The silencer picks up the mid to top HP and the tapered header helps improve the bottom end. This pipe is tunable by removing or adding discs to the silencer. It will also change the decibel level.

An inexpensive alternative to a aftermarket pipe would be buying a used YZ pipe. Most go for around $75-100. You might also want to look at the Dr D pipe. Or hang around here and someone will sell their aftermarket pipe.

Bill

Hmmmm.....the answer is definately. Ask Yamakaze about how he launched himself due to the extra hit of his aftermarket pipe!

Additionally, I got stopped recently with a Stroker and PowerBomb combo and had to refit the Euro original pipe for an inspection. The bike felt dead afterwards.

The difference is VERY noticeable.

You do need to richen though. I went from a 150 main jet to a 158. Pilot circuit I left alone with good results.

Yes, an aftermarket pipe helps - get riding areas closed due the increase noise. If I trash my stock '99 WR pipe I will replace it with an aftermarket pipe. But it would be a quiet one - no louder than 96dB - same as my thumper racing insert/stock pipe.

Anybody got an actuall weight for the stock WR silencer? I'm sure an aftermarket one is lighter but how much? And is it worth the increase in noise?

If it were my bike I would get a Vortip/Thumper Racing Quiet Core at <$100 and work with the jetting and free mods before spending the money on an aftermarket silencer. I weigh 255lbs and don't feel like I need the little bit more of top end that a pipe may offer. I only trail ride so I don't need/want a 'hit' in the power delivery.

Brian

i realize that in california and other states there is a huge problem with greenies and noise. But where i live it is not a problem. So when you say it closes down riding areas you should refer to your areas and not areas in general. and not make the people who dont have to worry about it feel bad.

It depends. Are you going to race or just mess around? If your not racing then get a second hand YZ exhaust for around $100 or less. They are fairly light, help performance, and I think they look good!

This is off topic, but a YZ tank and seat IS A MUST! The money you could save by going with a second hand YZ exhaust instead of a $400 after market could be put towards your new tank/seat.

Originally posted by tk421:

This is off topic, but a YZ tank and seat IS A MUST! The money you could save by going with a second hand YZ exhaust instead of a $400 after market could be put towards your new tank/seat.

I converted my '99 WR to the IMS tank/seat BEFORE getting rid of the D739 front tire and raising the fork tubes. If I were to do it again I'd change the tire & raise the fork tubes before spending ~$300 for the tank/seat combo. IMO the front tire/raised tubes made a much larger change.

lewichris - noise will be an issue regardless of where you ride/live sooner or later.

Brian

Well,

With the jetting suggestions from this board, my riding buddies '01 WR426 realy woke up. He recently put the FMF ty exhaust on and it did make a difference. When you look at the cost of the jets vs the cost of the pipe, not worth the $$$$ IMO. The suggestion to buy a YZ exhaust is a good way to go.

I trashed the stock exhaust on my '02. I replaced the system with a Yoshimura r-3 system, which is a full system with a SS header and I believe the silencer is aluminum. Holy cow, what a difference! I ordered the unit with just a spark arrestor, so it is nearly as loud as the unplugged stocker. However, the power in the mid and top end is much greater! Also, I'm pleased by how well-made this unit is, and it fit the bike perfectly. As everyone else has said, it was necessare to install a larger main jet. On my bike, I installed a 170.

As an option, it can be ordered with a tuneable end cap that will reduce the noise level, but I'm not sure how much.

The only negative about the Yosh system is the price. Discounted, I paid almost $500 and it needed to be special ordered. Took a week to get, but I'd say it was worth it.

lewichris wrote,

I realize that in california and other states there is a huge problem with greenies and noise. But where i live it is not a problem. So when you say it closes down riding areas you should refer to your areas and not areas in general. and not make the people who dont have to worry about it feel bad

lewichris

There was a time when California didn't have a problem with noise or greenies. But Times change and just because it hasn't been a problem in your area dosen't mean that it won't be. Keep an open mind and realize that things change. You may think that where you ride is immune to change but believe me IT CAN HAPPEN! As a riding community we should fight for our rights to ride. But at the same time we must also realize that some consessions may have to be made to protect our right to ride. Noise will be one of them. I love the sound of a healthy bike. I also love to ride. We cannot give those who would like to see us gone forever anymore ammo then they think they already have. Companies such as KTM have proved that a fast bike can be quiet. This only helps our cause. Wether you live in Idaho or California or anywhere else for that matter.

Originally posted by tp3dxf:

lewichris wrote,

I realize that in california and other states there is a huge problem with greenies and noise. But where i live it is not a problem. So when you say it closes down riding areas you should refer to your areas and not areas in general. and not make the people who dont have to worry about it feel bad

lewichris

There was a time when California didn't have a problem with noise or greenies. But Times change and just because it hasn't been a problem in your area dosen't mean that it won't be. Keep an open mind and realize that things change. You may think that where you ride is immune to change but believe me IT CAN HAPPEN! As a riding community we should fight for our rights to ride. But at the same time we must also realize that some consessions may have to be made to protect our right to ride. Noise will be one of them. I love the sound of a healthy bike. I also love to ride. We cannot give those who would like to see us gone forever anymore ammo then they think they already have. Companies such as KTM have proved that a fast bike can be quiet. This only helps our cause. Wether you live in Idaho or California or anywhere else for that matter.

I here you bro. But in CA there is milions of people. Where i am from there isnt room for even a million people and everyone around here rides to a certian extent. I could get reamed for saying this by other idahoans but if all you riders from CA moved here then we would have even more reasons not to worry. Comparing north idaho to anywhere in ca is like comparing a watermelon to a huckleberry.

GTMS34,

Jetting only smoothens out power delivery "It does NOT increase HP."

The question was: Do after market pipes really help?

The answer without all the associated noise BS is : Yes an aftermarket pipe will increase the available HP and lighten up the bike by as much as 3 lbs. Some pipes much more so than others.

Bonzai ?

I was thinkin More along the lines of th DMC alien system.. Gaurunteed to open mid-top end power and then that worx tork valve insert by write brothers to gimme more on the bottom.. a damn good increase and then the seat and tank by ims and it should be one helluva a bike..

Originally posted by YAMAKAZE:

[QB]GTMS34,

Jetting only smoothens out power delivery "It does NOT increase HP."

I know what the bike was like stock compared to an EMM needle with re jetting. BIG power improvement ? plus now the throttle response is instant. :D It runs a lot like a two smoke now, but with more torque. :D:D