40 ft toy hauler

if you were going to pull a 40' fithwheel TH would a F350 diesel be enough to pull it or do you think that you would need to step up to the F450. any one out there pulling a 36-40TH

It's simple math-what's the TH weigh fully loaded and ready, and what is the trucks tow ratings?

Scale the trailer-you'll be amazed at how heavy it is compared to mfgr's numbers.

it has the 6.0, crew cab, short bed, not a dually, and we hit a few grades and its fine until the clutch fan kicks in and that'll rob up to 70hp however i'd imagine that'd go for the 350 aswell, maybe not the 450 since the 450 is more of a fleet truck.

since it has the overload spring, suspension-wise she handles the trailer just fine, and mftr says the hitch weight is ~2400lb

is it a diesel, do you go threw a grades. cause im looking in to getting a 40' k-z inferno and a new truck just wondering what you guys think about F350 or the 450

If you're shopping for a new truck, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 450-you can never have too much brakes, suspension, frame, etc.

The step up from 350-450 can mean 4k lbs when equipped right.

If you're shopping for a new truck, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 450-you can never have too much brakes, suspension, frame, etc.

The step up from 350-450 can mean 4k lbs when equipped right.

if you can afford the 450 then go for it, last time we looked at trucks the 450 was had a $65k sticker price and if you don't haul for a living its kind of overkill and a waste.

if you can afford the 450 then go for it, last time we looked at trucks the 450 was had a $65k sticker price and if you don't haul for a living its kind of overkill and a waste.

I bet you could get just as good of a deal on an 08 model 450 as you would a 350 right now. Commercial truck sales are in the crapper so bad it's not even funny.

IF you have a local used car/truck dealer in the area...stop in and ask him about what you want...He may offer to look on the int. (auction) for exactly what you're wanting to get. It may take a while but then again maybe not...they may be available right now. Give him exactly what it is you want in the truck.

Brand

Model

Color

Trim

Miles (max)

4x2, 4x4 ???

etc.

Going this route you can save a bunch of money!

I used to do this day in-day out for my customers. I did the work for them so they could enjoy their weekends. The only draw back is that you won't be able to see the vehicle prior to him bringing it in! You have to trust him! Even then he can't hold your feet to the fire, you can always back out!

Just a thought!

I pull a 37' travel trailer (bumper hitch) with a w/d hitch and my '95 F250 diesel handel it just fine. I have pulled many other very heavy (over CGVW)goose neck trailer with this same truck and it handle them all very good. A duley would be better for side to side sway. I didn't look to see where you are from, but if you do mountain driving you will want to get an exhaust brake. The 7 % grades are tough to stop on even when truck and trailer brakes are in perfect working order. The F 250 deisel and F350 have the same drive line, motor, trany, brakes, axels everything.

Cody

I pull a 37' travel trailer (bumper hitch) with a w/d hitch and my '95 F250 diesel handel it just fine. I have pulled many other very heavy (over CGVW)goose neck trailer with this same truck and it handle them all very good. A duley would be better for side to side sway. I didn't look to see where you are from, but if you do mountain driving you will want to get an exhaust brake. The 7 % grades are tough to stop on even when truck and trailer brakes are in perfect working order. The F 250 deisel and F350 have the same drive line, motor, trany, brakes, axels everything.

Cody

Travel Trailers tend to be much lighter than Toy Haulers by as much as 25% foot-for-foot of length.

I meant toy hauler travel traler. It will hold 4 quad.

2pr7lg0.jpg

It is heavy, 13,800lb loaded with two street bikes head for Sturgis. 1,400 pounds of tonuge weight.

Yup, you're overweight by at least 3800 lbs-max tow rating is about 10k, and that is rated with no cargo in the truck. For every lb of cargo you put in the truck, you have to subtract one lb of trailer towing capacity.

Last I checked a 450 was medium duty and at least here in california would be required to stop at the scales all the time.... that also means that the roads and freeways with the "No Truck" rules and weight limits apply.

I pull a 39 foot tandem dually flatbed trailer with my dodge 3500 dually frequently and it does just fine. I get to skip the scales and never have to worry about truck limitations in neighborhoods.

The 450 should have better frame brakes, axles, and be rated for more weight, but will probably be slower up a grade than the 350 because they have the same motor.

I think the limit on 26000 lbs applies either way if you want to tow with a class C liscense.

lots of my buddies tow 39' toyhaulers with single rear wheel 3/4 ton diesels just fine.

Last I checked a 450 was medium duty and at least here in california would be required to stop at the scales all the time.... that also means that the roads and freeways with the "No Truck" rules and weight limits apply.

I pull a 39 foot tandem dually flatbed trailer with my dodge 3500 dually frequently and it does just fine. I get to skip the scales and never have to worry about truck limitations in neighborhoods.

The 450 should have better frame brakes, axles, and be rated for more weight, but will probably be slower up a grade than the 350 because they have the same motor.

I think the limit on 26000 lbs applies either way if you want to tow with a class C liscense.

lots of my buddies tow 39' toyhaulers with single rear wheel 3/4 ton diesels just fine.

It matters none what it is, but how it is licensed and used. A personal use vehicle that is not used for commerce is not a commercial motor vehicle, especially when it's towing a privately owned RV.

I could take a Kenworth semi and make an RV out of it, and it's RV.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

California Vehicle Code Section 2813 outlines who must stop at weigh stations and inspection stations:

2813. Every driver of a commercial vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the size, weight, equipment, and smoke emissions of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of commercial vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring the stop. Every driver who fails or refuses to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection when signs are displayed requiring that stop is guilty of a misdemeanor.

California Vehicle Code Section 260 defines "commercial vehicle" (bolding and underlining added):

260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

(? Passenger vehicles which are not used for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit and housecars are not commercial vehicles. ...

© Any vanpool vehicle is not a commercial vehicle.

(d) ...

It matters none what it is, but how it is licensed and used. A personal use vehicle that is not used for commerce is not a commercial motor vehicle, especially when it's towing a privately owned RV.

I could take a Kenworth semi and make an RV out of it, and it's RV.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

that is what i thought, because i see race trailers puled behind semis pass the weight station all the time

that is what i thought, because i see race trailers puled behind semis pass the weight station all the time

Now that's where it gets into a "gray" area...technically, if you're racing for a prize (even if the item has a value of a penny), then it is commerce, and a vehicle used in the pursuit of commerce is a commercial motor vehicle.

MN slapped a bunch of dirt track boys upside the head on this one a few years back.