HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorCal

Rivets Keep Busting Out of My Muffler

11 posts in this topic

What are the alternatives to rivets on my muffler? The rivets closest to the engine on the

muffler keep breaking. I'm thinking screws or allen heads, but I have know idea. What

works best?

The trouble with screws is there is nothing to put threads in. You could use cage nuts (nuts with an attached spring clip), but these can cause the can to fit the front bulkhead poorly. They might work for you, though.

Try steel rivets, or go up one size.

Aluminum rivets vibrated out of mine, Staineless steel rivets stay in very well.

Man I'm obviously not working my bike like you guys...Rivets coming out ???WOW

The trouble with screws is there is nothing to put threads in. You could use cage nuts (nuts with an attached spring clip), but these can cause the can to fit the front bulkhead poorly. They might work for you, though.

Try steel rivets, or go up one size.

Alright, sounds like I'm using crappy rivets then.

And yes, I ride the hell out of my YZ.:bonk:

I had a similiar problem with the stock muffler on my wifes bike. I ended up putting license plate screws in it. The plate screws have a huge taper and they fit really tight, she never lost any of them.

OR you can do what i did get some 2 part epoxy and stick nuts on the back of the rivet holes and use screws and some blue lock tight.

I had the same problem on the white brother exhaust w/discs. I went up a size in rivits, it worked a short while then they started to fail, the best soultion for me was to replace with a new one, I chose a FMF , it runs and sounds 10X's better.

I thought this could be a sign that the packing is blowing out? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...