HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dankman

Stripped the oil filter bolt...where to get this fixed...

7 posts in this topic

I finally changed the oil and filter on my 2000 yz426...after reading the sticky's and all, and i tried to be careful, but the lower allen headed bolt won't tighten...it's the case that's actually stripped. I tried different length bolts and still no luck...looks like a Timesert (?) is what i need. now, is there any place in the Los Angeles (North Orange County, actually) area that can fix this for me? I just don't want to mess things up more than i know that i am capable of...:bonk:

Try chasing the threads with 6 X .75 tap. It worked on a buddy's...I would have sworn that the threads were toast when he brought it over to my house but it worked.

I always clean my threads with a couple Q-tips before reinstalling the cover then carefully hand-thread the bolt back in. If I feel any resistance I will carefully run a tap through the threads by hand to clean them out.

Try chasing the threads with 6 X .75 tap. It worked on a buddy's...I would have sworn that the threads were toast when he brought it over to my house but it worked.

I always clean my threads with a couple Q-tips before reinstalling the cover then carefully hand-thread the bolt back in. If I feel any resistance I will carefully run a tap through the threads by hand to clean them out.

Do my modification to the filter well and your threads will never need cleaning again.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724

yeah...i've read that and was thinking of doing that mod the next time i was in there...this was the first time i've changed the oil and filter on this bike, but i read the link and other threads regarding the oil passage and the threads, and i tried to look out for it...

when i took the bolt out, it was really rough...i tried my best to clean out the threads before inserting and attempting to tighten, and from the start, it didn't feel right...when i cleaned the threads, i already saw bits of metal and threads...i pretty much knew i was in for it....

anybody know a shop in my area that could install a Timesert for a reasonable price?