Stripped the oil filter bolt...where to get this fixed...

I finally changed the oil and filter on my 2000 yz426...after reading the sticky's and all, and i tried to be careful, but the lower allen headed bolt won't tighten...it's the case that's actually stripped. I tried different length bolts and still no luck...looks like a Timesert (?) is what i need. now, is there any place in the Los Angeles (North Orange County, actually) area that can fix this for me? I just don't want to mess things up more than i know that i am capable of...:bonk:

Try chasing the threads with 6 X .75 tap. It worked on a buddy's...I would have sworn that the threads were toast when he brought it over to my house but it worked.

I always clean my threads with a couple Q-tips before reinstalling the cover then carefully hand-thread the bolt back in. If I feel any resistance I will carefully run a tap through the threads by hand to clean them out.

Try chasing the threads with 6 X .75 tap. It worked on a buddy's...I would have sworn that the threads were toast when he brought it over to my house but it worked.

I always clean my threads with a couple Q-tips before reinstalling the cover then carefully hand-thread the bolt back in. If I feel any resistance I will carefully run a tap through the threads by hand to clean them out.

Do my modification to the filter well and your threads will never need cleaning again.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724

yeah...i've read that and was thinking of doing that mod the next time i was in there...this was the first time i've changed the oil and filter on this bike, but i read the link and other threads regarding the oil passage and the threads, and i tried to look out for it...

when i took the bolt out, it was really rough...i tried my best to clean out the threads before inserting and attempting to tighten, and from the start, it didn't feel right...when i cleaned the threads, i already saw bits of metal and threads...i pretty much knew i was in for it....

anybody know a shop in my area that could install a Timesert for a reasonable price?

ya go and get a tap for it

I used a helicoil and it is still holding great today:thumbsup: