YZ or Power Bomb?

Well, this is sure to open a can of worms, but here goes. FMF Q4 really woke up my 08 wr450, and my plan is to get a power bomb header to go with it (based on reading good things about it on here). However, I will have access to a stock YZ450 header (also and 08) so I think "would the power bomb perform better than free stock yz"? For that matter, would either one be an improvement over what just the Q4 made? And I don't need top end hp at the expense of low/mid.

Well, this is sure to open a can of worms, but here goes. FMF Q4 really woke up my 08 wr450, and my plan is to get a power bomb header to go with it (based on reading good things about it on here). However, I will have access to a stock YZ450 header (also and 08) so I think "would the power bomb perform better than free stock yz"? For that matter, would either one be an improvement over what just the Q4 made? And I don't need top end hp at the expense of low/mid.

the price of a used yz pipe on craigslist is about 50 bucks....well worth it compared to 100+ for the fmf

My mate just put the full Q4 system with powerbomb on his '08 & I rode it last weekend. Really snappy down low compared to stock & a bit more snappy than my '06 with Drd slip-on with Vortex. Real easy to lift that front wheel without trying. :bonk:

Can't comment about the Yz header except that I have seen that it is larger in diameter which will certainly help.

I would go with the freeby Yz header, try that & if you don't like it nothing lost. :bonk:

Cheers from Oz

The Yz header on Wr more top end.The power bomb header more bottom end a little less top end then the Yz header.

I took the PB off mine and put a YZ pipe on.

The PB burned holes in my riding pants.

I didin't notice any more power either.

i just ordered an FMF powerbomb header i'll let you know how it goes. the burning of the pants is what has stopped me from buying one before. if i could have bought a YZ header cheap i would have gone with that.

I didin't notice any more power either.

i doubt anyone will notice a diff...would be interesting to see a dino of the 08 yz header and the fmf PB header

The powerbomb definitely performs better. Whether it is worth the extra money is up to you.

The powerbomb definitely performs better.

how do you know that...any dino graphs

I would wrap the pipe so it doesn't burn your pants.

Imagine if the bike landed on you in a crash.

how do you know that...any dino graphs

I don't have any on hand, but I have used all three powerbombs (I think they only offer 2 different ones now), a megabomb, and stock on my 450 before settling on which felt the best for me. I also ran a pro circuit Ti-4, and a Dr. D full system. For FMF silencers I have run the Ti-powercore and the factory 4.1 as well as stock. I have done a lot of exhaust testing with every combination possible for the pipes I had on hand.

I don't have any on hand, but I have used all three powerbombs (I think they only offer 2 different ones now), a megabomb, and stock on my 450 before settling on which felt the best for me. I also ran a pro circuit Ti-4, and a Dr. D full system. For FMF silencers I have run the Ti-powercore and the factory 4.1 as well as stock. I have done a lot of exhaust testing with every combination possible for the pipes I had on hand.

I understand all that but specifically we are talking about an 08 yz header vs a pb header...you simply say its better but what actual proof is there.

not trying to point you out but for anyone to make the claim that this header is better then that header is a little far fetched.

i would like to see the difference in the two headers with the same slip on...as i think that would be the only true way to see or maybe even tell a difference.

I understand all that but specifically we are talking about an 08 yz header vs a pb header...you simply say its better but what actual proof is there.

not trying to point you out but for anyone to make the claim that this header is better then that header is a little far fetched.

i would like to see the difference in the two headers with the same slip on...as i think that would be the only true way to see or maybe even tell a difference.

I said that I have swapped the headers with the same slip on (actually swapped headers with 3 different slip ons), and the powerbomb header always performed better than the stock YZ header. I know a lot of people just say it is better, I have actually tried them though.

Thanks for all the info on this issue. As I said, the Q4 alone made a very dramatic improvement in power quality/quantity over stock can. I think I'll try my sons yz header to see what that does. Also, the no heat shield thing is kind of a big deal. I emailed eline to see if they have a guard to fit the pb on 08...they only list it for up to 06. Thanks again guys.

i put the FMF powerbomb header on yesterday, it has made quite an inprovement over stock, more bottom end to mid range power, its hard to tell if it gave more top end with the snowbike kit on. i'v made brackets for the original heat guard to go on. if i could figure out how to upload pictures i'd put a pic on??