port breakin thoughts

So, 3 rides (total of 110 miles or so) since new on my 08 WR 450. First 2 rides were stock with just the free mods/ais removal kit/small baffle removed. Not bad, suspension way too soft of desert work, power a tad soft. 3rd ride after adding fmf Q4, GPR V4 stabilizer.....what an amazing difference the pipe made. Way improved "snap" and revs faster/higher. Makes it feel very close to my sons yz450 motor. The stabilizer made the suspension feel less scary, but it's still going to ESP tomorrow to let George make it raceable. I think I'll like this bike just fine, and the magic button is worth the price of admission.

So, 3 rides (total of 110 miles or so) since new on my 08 WR 450. First 2 rides were stock with just the free mods/ais removal kit/small baffle removed. Not bad, suspension way too soft of desert work, power a tad soft. 3rd ride after adding fmf Q4, GPR V4 stabilizer.....what an amazing difference the pipe made. Way improved "snap" and revs faster/higher. Makes it feel very close to my sons yz450 motor. The stabilizer made the suspension feel less scary, but it's still going to ESP tomorrow to let George make it raceable. I think I'll like this bike just fine, and the magic button is worth the price of admission.

Nice write up...i put 0.7 hours for motor break in on the street before this weekend. also prior to break in did all the free mods plus jetting, 08 yz header and 4.1 fmf.

First ride in the desert was a blast...i rode it hard and put 7.1 total hours on my 08 and let me tell you its a rocket ship

I was very pleasantly surprised by the power improvement (both quantity and quality) that the pipe made. I am also planning to add an fmf power bomb header as i have read good things about it on here.

I am also planning to add an fmf power bomb header as i have read good things about it on here.

save your money and look for an 08 yz header:thumbsup:

btw how did you have yours jetted?

I probably will have access to a stock yz header cuz my son is convinced that he has to go to a full aftermarket system on his new 08 yz450. Jetting is the main, pilot and needle that came in the gytr ais removal kit. Not sure the needle clip position, the mechanic at the shop installed it when I bought the bike, and I told him I rode so cal desert, 2400-3000 feet. Amazingly, it carburates perfectly, no bog, no stutter, no flame outs, just clean right from idle to redline. Good thing, cuz it looks like they build the bike around the carb. Did you go out this weekend 123? I was at Red Mtn yesterday, and I've never seen so many people in the desert before, even over the always busy Thanksgiving weekend.

Did you go out this weekend 123?

The Fam and I were out in D38 Superstition area...had lots of fun...:bonk:

Hey dave. I would be very interested in what you have done to the suspension with ESP. I'm not very good at verbalizing what my bike is doing or what I want it to do. Glad you're enjoying the new bike, but I'm getting tired of hearing how so many people had a great ride this passed weekend after the rain and I was stuck at home nursing a knee injury!!! I hope to be riding by mid January.

I dropped off with George today in person. Great guy, lots of bikes there being worked on, seemed plenty busy. I have high hopes...he is big with off road versus mx track set up. We discussed my needs and skill level (district 37 desert expert). I, along with most desert guys, want plush across the cross grain chop, but end of stroke to take the big hits. Seems the WR has somewhat unique valving design that not every shop may have figured out. He assured me I'd be happy. Next heavier spring at both ends, plus valving changes. Springs allow it to ride further up in the stroke, so slow speed valving can be soft, then progressively stiffer valving in the mid and high speed stack. And yes, you missed an epic weekend. Remember 4 years ago when it rained all winter? Jan thru April with dust free races, now that was heaven.