Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rdefonce

Safe to run in-line fuel filter on 450's?

8 posts in this topic

I want to keep dirt out'a the carb but I definitely DON'T want to starve the motor of fuel . . . which filter would you recommend for max flow, and still fit the confined space.

I want to keep dirt out'a the carb but I definitely DON'T want to starve the motor of fuel . . . which filter would you recommend for max flow, and still fit the confined space.

My last WR450 i ran one from new and i put over 11k miles on it with no issues what so ever...my new 08 has one on it...so i say go for it:thumbsup:

I hope it's safe, been doing it for 2 years. I can't remember the name of the filter (uni-flo maybe?) but the bike never seemed to lack fuel. Most of my riding has been trail with some playtime on MX tracks, so it's possible that I just haven't been on the gas enough to cause problems.

Nearly an inline filter will be fine. You bike consumes fuel by the drop so in this case, size does not matter. If you had a steel fuel tank , full pf crap, then a large filter would be important as it would fill up junk quickly. Just keep an eye on it and when it looks like there is debris, replace it.

You have a screen on your pick up tube in the tank already, but you should be ok if you want to run 2.

You have a screen on your pick up tube in the tank already, but you should be ok if you want to run 2.

Very true but silt can get past that screen!

Very true but silt can get past that screen!

I concur, fine stuff can still get past that screen.

Since inline filt won't inhibit flow, I'm putting one on now.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!