HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin89

Where can you buy Toluene for a HC piston?

11 posts in this topic

:bonk: Hey guys, where can you buy the fuel addative toluene? I heard you can mix this with regular supreme gas for a higher octane...is this true? Will this hurt/is it bad for the bike in any way? I'm just thinking about putting a 13:5:1 piston in my Yami and dont want any pinging going on. Also, can you just use a car octane booster for this type of stuff? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.:bonk: :bonk:

sherwin williams, mix 20% toluene (1 gal toluene,4 gal gasoline) may need to lean out your jetting a little.

car octane boosters are crap,there is one brand left that is actually real lead additive;i think its called octane supreme.:bonk:

sherwin williams, mix 20% toluene (1 gal toluene,4 gal gasoline) may need to lean out your jetting a little.

car octane boosters are crap,there is one brand left that is actually real lead additive;i think its called octane supreme.:bonk:

Thanks for the info on the toluene! Im just worried about some pinging going on and dont want to run race gas...

You can buy it at any Paint Store. I would sugest staying away from Sherwin Williams in CA. Be prepared to show your ID. It is now illegal to sell toluene in CA without checking ID. Try Vista Paint....probably the best price, then Frazee, ICI, Dunn Edwards and lastly SW.

And why?

Hey gray, what do you think about this toluene as an octain booster? So auto octain boosters are crap then right? :bonk:

Toluene is pretty effective, and was a major component of some of the better non-lead boosters. It's also already a component of gasoline (especially race gas), so it's not voodoo chemistry.

Auto octane boosters aren't crap, exactly, but they do tend to be somewhat over rated. When the label tells you that it will raise the octane 3 points, that means it will take it from 91 to 91.3, not to 94.

I have used toluene in my car quite a few times. Without it i could only run 24psi with less than 5 counts of knock.When i add 2 gallons toluene to about 10gallons of 93 i can run 30+psi with no knock at all.:bonk: E85 is even more knock friendly, but it only has about 70-80% the power potential gasoline does. This is why you have to burn so much more e85 than gas. E85 wouldnt be a practical fuel for a bike. Sorry i started to ramble there:smirk:

Over time it can damage fuel pumps, and seals. It would take alot though

And why?

Because they have raised there price on solvents 4 or it might be 5 times this year alone. They are just way over priced would be my main reason. There are other issues with many of there products but that would be wayyyyyyyy off topic.

Because they have raised there price on solvents 4 or it might be 5 times this year alone. They are just way over priced would be my main reason. There are other issues with many of there products but that would be wayyyyyyyy off topic.

if you buy it in case form(4 /1 gal cans) its $12 a gal here,if ya work that out its about $4 a gallon for your own race gas;i also add a capful of marvel mystery oil to the 5 gal can as the toluene is a bit dry.

Bob,

You mentioned finding the need to lean the jetting. Others have posted the opposite. What was your experience with it at 20%?