HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finthat

Yfz, Yzf

6 posts in this topic

Dumb question from a thumper newbie are the cases the same on both 450's ATV and Bike? Can you use the atv cases on a bike using the same bike internals, crank, bearings ect.??

You did not post a year, but after looking at parts list for 2004 for both models my answer would be no.

They are not. The YZ450F uses one crankcase from '03-'05 and another from '06-'09. Both of these are different than the cases in a WR450, of which there are also two. The YFZ quads are different than either of these. There is some interchangeability among the engines, but it varies quite a bit, and is mostly between the WR and YFZ.

Thanks alot guys. Sorry for making the obvious no year mistake. Its an 2003 yz450f with a hole in the bottom of both halfs. I have a chance to buy one for cheap but just want to make sure that if I want to fix it that the parts wont kill me. I am looking for used cases and there is a pile of yfz cases on ebay. I may just part it out as well. I am also assuming the '03 is a good bike over all??

Cases from a YZ450F, '03-'05 will fit yours, but not any others. If you have ever entertained the idea of having a wide ratio 5 speed, or more power for lights, cases or a complete lower end/trans from a WR might be an approach to take. The cases won't work without several of the WR components to go with it, though.

Have you thought of getting yours repaired (welded/machined)?

Thanks grayracer. I haven't bought this bike just yet but am pretty close. Just waiting to get some pics of the hole in the cases before I make the 6hr drive to get the bike. I have been buying and fixing riding blown or worn out cr500's for a couple years now as sort of a hobby. This will be the first four stroke I will own and try to bring back from the dead. Figure might as well update my skills and try a new challange.

Need to hear a different sound when I twist the throttle I guess.

If possible I would prefer to have them welded. I have a great aluminum welder just up the road from me.

Thanks again and thumbs up to your Marine.