HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slider91129

Valve adjustment problems

6 posts in this topic

I was checking the valves on my WR426 and I can't get 2 of the buckets housing the shims out. 3 came out fine and the last 2 rotate freely but will not come up. Any ideas? Thanks

Probably worn a groove in the carrier. Try using propane torch to quickly heat up the carrier around the buckets and tap them out from the top with a piece of plastic. You should measure all of this with micrometer to verify wear.

Probably worn a groove in the carrier. Try using propane torch to quickly heat up the carrier around the buckets and tap them out from the top with a piece of plastic. You should measure all of this with micrometer to verify wear.

Nah man, waste of time.

Just use long nose pliers to get a grip on the caps to lift them up. :bonk:

The buckets should always come out smoothly using a magnet. The only stuck ones I have seen were due to the cam bearing journals being severly worn. The damage can have a mushroom affect that will obstruct the bucket bores and not allow the bucket to be removed until you clean up the worn material. If this is the case, a good machine shop should be able to refurbish the head for you.

Good luck,

Scott

Ah, yeah. Magnet. :bonk: I did like Mutu and just used needlenose pliers with teeth very carefully so I didn't scratch anything. I figure the bucket is extremely hard metal.

Next time I'll grab a magnet.

~Patrick

Yeah, the bucket is really hard and durable. You won't be able to scratch it. It's the oil that makes them stick.