HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quadman44

Dirtbikes tall

15 posts in this topic

ok, I went and sat on some bikes yesterday. Sat on the WR...I am almost 6 foot tall. My tip toes touched!! I asked the guy if there is a way to drop an inch to two...he said "we have some TTs over here..". Why are then soo tall??

Bumps need suspension. Short travel would be a harsh ride and unforgiving. You will get used to it. I had the same initial impression but got used to it quickly.

You need all the ground clearance and travel you can get. Don't pick a shorter bike just because it seems more comfortable when you're not moving...

Went for a ride today on my new to me 99. Only problem I had was stopping and trying to get my foot down (toe, really). Im 5'8" on a good day. The ride was great, I just cant stop. I was jealous of the other riders who could flat foot it.

I recently bought an WR450 for my 48th birthday, after a long time off. Yes, it's tall. I'm 5-10. But like the other guys say, you soon learn to manage. I fell over a few times at first, but that rarely happens anymore. I bash the skidplate occationally, so I really wouldn't want it much shorter. Great bike. Enjoy!

im 6'2" and have no problems getting on or off or balancing my 05 450f, you will have no problems once you get used to it. If your that worried i think there is lowering linkage sets that you can get, but you should not need them at 6'

And maybe the sag wasn't set for your weight; could've added an extra inch or two to the height.

ok, I went and sat on some bikes yesterday. Sat on the WR...I am almost 6 foot tall. My tip toes touched!! I asked the guy if there is a way to drop an inch to two...he said "we have some TTs over here..". Why are then soo tall??

5'-8" and no lowering link on mine!

Same here 5’ 7 ½”, stopping and going is no problem but when I need to kick start that can be a bitch.

Same here 5’ 7 ½”, stopping and going is no problem but when I need to kick start that can be a bitch.

Yep I have ant legs and rely on my e-start. I need some billet leg extenders.:bonk:

5-7 on a good day. I ride an 01 426 with big bore and high compression. Starting can be a bitch on flat ground of slight slope. I have developed an uncaany sense of finding any berm, rock, puckerbush, or other geological protruberance that allows me to get that left foot down flat while trying to start the bike. I typically drop 2-3 times EVERY time out because I go to put my foot down and there's no "down" to be found. It's always when stopped, so the bike really doesn't get damaged, and after a while, your riding buddies learn to expect it and it just doesn't seem that funny any more...

5-7 on a good day. I ride an 01 426 with big bore and high compression. Starting can be a bitch on flat ground of slight slope. I have developed an uncaany sense of finding any berm, rock, puckerbush, or other geological protruberance that allows me to get that left foot down flat while trying to start the bike. I typically drop 2-3 times EVERY time out because I go to put my foot down and there's no "down" to be found. It's always when stopped, so the bike really doesn't get damaged, and after a while, your riding buddies learn to expect it and it just doesn't seem that funny any more...

:lol:I'm glad I'm not the only one:lol: I have learned not to rely on putting my foot down and just ride it out. Or fall:lol: