02 426 not starting

Went out the other day to take it for a ride and it took me about 15 kicks before it would even fire. Once I had it running I warmed it up with the choke and as soon as I took it off it would die. Did that 3 or 4 times (it is cold in South Dakota). So out of frustration I get it to stay running by blipping the throttle ride a bit and it died whenever I let off the throttle. It was making a little noise on the left side of the bike. It ran fine up until this point, any advice....?

Try totally cleaning your carb, new plug, fresh oil. If you still have issues you might need to play with your jetting. Especially if there has been an extreme change in temp. since your last ride. Good luck.

i got my money on the valves being out of spec! you have all the classic symptoms.....and especially if there is a noise, which could be the valves clattering because when they heat up they expand and will have an added chattering sound. Does it run decent untill it gets hot?

Because if thats the case then you are probably border line tight on your valve clearances, hence letting it start up fairly easy cold but once its warm or hot they expand to the point of being of of spec and making it run crappy.

Went out the other day to take it for a ride and it took me about 15 kicks before it would even fire. Once I had it running I warmed it up with the choke and as soon as I took it off it would die. Did that 3 or 4 times (it is cold in South Dakota). So out of frustration I get it to stay running by blipping the throttle ride a bit and it died whenever I let off the throttle. It was making a little noise on the left side of the bike. It ran fine up until this point, any advice....?

Well There's your problem!

J.E.T.T.I.N.G.

You have to rejet in colder weather. Some bikes more than others. Try bumping your main and pilot one size. Maybe raise the needle 1 notch. And probably bumping your starter jet like 2 sizes. That should help the cold starting.

Cool thanks a bunch I'll go give those a try

try a plug and fresh gas first