Will this rotor work on my 450?

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about whether or not the wheels on my '99 YZ 250 would fit my 04 YZ 450f. Everyone was helpful, and I found that they will fit.

I have one more question:

The rear wheel rotor on the 04 YZ 450f is 245mm, while the old 99 YZ is only 220mm. Will I be able to just bolt on the old wheel on my 450 and run it with the smaller YZ rotor, or should I bolt my 450's rotor onto the old YZ rim when I swap the wheels due to the differences in rotor size? Also, there is only 5mm difference on the front wheel, so I guess the front is fine?

Thanks for your help

Technically you should swap the rotor, but you can run with the smaller rotor for short periods of time. The problem with the smaller rotor is part of the pads will not be in contact with it, and thus will not wear with the rest of the pad. Once the pads wear enough from contact with the rotor, the parts that are not wearing will begin to hit each other and your pads won't be able to put much pressure on the rotor, thus losing braking power.

• Like 1

Oh well, looks like I will have to swap the rotor out when I change rear wheels. What do you think about the 5mm difference in the front rotors? I should probably stay away from the older rotor, as well, right?

Thanks, you have been VERY helpful

Yeah, pretty much the same deal. Once in a while I will throw a wheel on with a standard sized rotor on my bike with the oversized kit on it for one ride, but I won't go more than that.

Yeah, pretty much the same deal. Once in a while I will throw a wheel on with a standard sized rotor on my bike with the oversized kit on it for one ride, but I won't go more than that.

I sure am glad I asked this before throwing the old rotors on it, because I would have run it for months like that.

Ebay some late model used rotors- can find them cheap and then you will be set!

That's a really good idea. Maybe I can find a pair of them.

Thanks Again guys!